Circular motion of the moon

In summary, the Moon's circular orbit around the Earth has a radius of 385,000 km and a period of 27.3 days. Using the equation V=2(pi)(R)/T, the speed of the Moon is calculated to be 1.025 X 10^3 m/s. The magnitude of acceleration is determined using the equation ac=V^2/R and is found to be 2.7 X 10^-3 m/s^2. The direction of acceleration is towards the center of uniform circular motion. It is acceptable to post multiple threads in the homework section as long as the user is able to address them promptly and with attention to detail.
Glenboro

Homework Statement

The Moon’s nearly circular orbit about the Earth has a radius of about 385 000 km and a period T of 27.3 days. Determine the speed of the Moon. Determine the magnitude and direction of the Moon’s acceleration.

Mark Criteria: A)determining the correct period of motion in seconds
B)determining the correct radius of motion in meters
C)determining the correct speed in m/s for
D)determining the correct magnitude of acceleration
E)determining the correct direction of acceleration

Homework Equations

V= 2(pie)(R)/T

ac = V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 27.3 days (60s)(60m)(24h) = 2.36 X 10^6s
B) 385,000 km = 3.85 X 10^8m
C) V= (2)(pi)(3.85 X 10^8m)/(2.36 X 10^6s)
= 1.025 X 10^3 m/s
D) ac = (1.025 X 10^3)^2/ (3.85 X 10^8m) = 2.7 X 10^-3 m/s^2
E) Towards the center of uniform circular motion[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been posting multiples of threads in the homework section, and I'm little worried if I broke any rules/regulation. I'm just wondering if I'm allowed to post multiples of threads in a day. If not, I will try to reduce the number of threads being posted.

Your calculation methods look fine. Remember to keep the same number of significant figures in your results as you were given as data (but retain more digits for intermediate values determined during the calculation so as to prevent rounding/truncation errors from creeping into the results).

You can post multiple threads so long as you can manage to address them all promptly and with attention to detail; don't spread yourself so thinly that helpers become frustrated with your interactions.

Glenboro said:
I've been posting multiples of threads in the homework section, and I'm little worried if I broke any rules/regulation. I'm just wondering if I'm allowed to post multiples of threads in a day. If not, I will try to reduce the number of threads being posted.
Please don't post multiples of the same problem.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Please don't post multiples of the same problem.

Chet
I didn't post multiples of the same problem nor I will. I'm just worrying about posting too many threads that will bother other users, because I got a lot of questions to ask from a variety of questions.

Glenboro said:
I didn't post multiples of the same problem nor I will. I'm just worrying about posting too many threads that will bother other users, because I got a lot of questions to ask from a variety of questions.
No problem. Feel free to ask. That's what we other members are here for.

Chet

gneill said:
Your calculation methods look fine. Remember to keep the same number of significant figures in your results as you were given as data (but retain more digits for intermediate values determined during the calculation so as to prevent rounding/truncation errors from creeping into the results).

You can post multiple threads so long as you can manage to address them all promptly and with attention to detail; don't spread yourself so thinly that helpers become frustrated with your interactions.
Thanks for reply gneill :) I will always keep that in mind

What is circular motion of the moon?

The circular motion of the moon refers to the continuous movement of the moon around the Earth in a circular path. This is due to the gravitational pull of the Earth on the moon, causing it to constantly orbit around our planet.

What causes circular motion of the moon?

The circular motion of the moon is caused by the gravitational force between the Earth and the moon. This force keeps the moon in a constant orbit around the Earth, creating the circular motion we observe.

How long does it take for the moon to complete one orbit around the Earth?

The moon takes approximately 27.3 days to complete one orbit around the Earth. This is known as the sidereal month and is slightly longer than the lunar month, which is 29.5 days and is based on the moon's phases.

Why does the moon appear to change shape during its orbit?

The moon appears to change shape during its orbit due to the relative positions of the moon, Earth, and the sun. As the moon moves around the Earth, the amount of sunlight reflecting off its surface changes, creating the phases of the moon that we see.

Can we predict the path of the moon's circular motion?

Yes, we can predict the path of the moon's circular motion using mathematical models and data on the gravitational forces between the Earth and the moon. This allows us to accurately track and anticipate the moon's movements and predict lunar events such as eclipses.