Citric acid buffer solution for prac

In summary, Fredrik said that buffers can't be easily compared because their pKa values are too low. He also said that citric buffer can't be easily compared with phosphoric buffer - way too low separation of pKa values. Finally, he said that he migrated some old excel macro tools he made for brewing chemistry and fermentation calculations into simple interface VB applications.
antony22
Hi Guys,

Citric acid has three different values for pKa because it is a polyprotic acid. I am aiming to make a buffer solution with sodium citrate but I am not sure which pKa value to use in the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Questions to ask yourself -

1.) What pH do you want your buffer to be at in the end?

2.) Under what conditions is a buffer going to work most effectively in relation to pKa?

3.) Have you ever made a phosphate buffer? If so, what's the purpose of chemical companies selling monobasic, dibasic, and tribasic potassium/sodium phosphate?

Citric buffer can't be easily compared with phosphoric buffer - way too low separation of pKa values.

Borek said:
Citric buffer can't be easily compared with phosphoric buffer - way too low separation of pKa values.

I was mostly thinking that one might use judiciously chosen amounts of citric acid and a citrate salt to prepare their desired buffer, much like one would use properly chosen amounts of monobasic & dibasic potassium phosphate (or whatever is appropriate) for their desired phosphate buffer.

Although I didn't remember that about citric acid. Good to know for future use!

antony22 said:
Hi Guys,

Citric acid has three different values for pKa because it is a polyprotic acid. I am aiming to make a buffer solution with sodium citrate but I am not sure which pKa value to use in the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Does anyone have any ideas?

These simple equations are useless except for the simplest cases.

You need to write down the full coupled equilibrium for all the coupled protolysis, and in the general case you can't solve it analytically but it's easy to solve by any numerical method like Newton raphson.

It can be done with excel macros. Not only is this a nice to have tool for the future, it's also a really good exercise!

/Fredrik

Fra said:
You need to write down the full coupled equilibrium for all the coupled protolysis, and in the general case you can't solve it analytically but it's easy to solve by any numerical method like Newton raphson.

It can be done with excel macros. Not only is this a nice to have tool for the future, it's also a really good exercise!

Oh well... now that you called for numerical methods and software:

Buffer Maker - the ultimate buffer calculator

It does everything you mentioned, plus some. And you can get support at PF :wink:

That looks nice :)

I also migrated some old excel macro tools I made for brewing chemistry and fermentation calculations into simple interface VB applications. That's sometimes quicker than excel. The nice thing is if you have some excel macros one can pretty much copy and paste the code into a VB app. So for these kind of not so cpu intense things basic is neat since it's easily compatible with excel.

So are you the software author? :)

Edit: Hey, I didn't pay attention to your signature before! ;-)

/Fredrik

1. What is a citric acid buffer solution?

A citric acid buffer solution is a mixture of citric acid and its conjugate base, sodium citrate, which helps maintain a stable pH in a solution. It is commonly used in laboratory experiments and procedures that require a specific pH range.

2. How is a citric acid buffer solution prepared?

To prepare a citric acid buffer solution, a known amount of citric acid is dissolved in water, followed by the addition of sodium citrate. The solution is then diluted to the desired volume with water and mixed thoroughly.

3. What is the purpose of using a citric acid buffer solution in a lab experiment?

The main purpose of using a citric acid buffer solution in a lab experiment is to maintain a constant pH level. This is important because many chemical reactions and biological processes are highly sensitive to changes in pH, and a citric acid buffer solution helps prevent these changes.

4. What is the ideal pH range for a citric acid buffer solution?

The ideal pH range for a citric acid buffer solution is between 3.0 to 6.2. This range is suitable for most biological and chemical reactions and can be adjusted by varying the concentration of citric acid and sodium citrate in the solution.

5. Can a citric acid buffer solution be stored for later use?

Yes, a citric acid buffer solution can be stored for later use. It is recommended to store the solution in a clean, tightly sealed container and to use it within a few days to ensure its effectiveness. The pH of the solution should also be checked before each use and adjusted if necessary.