Coin rolling on another coin, when will free fall occur?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem regarding a rolling coin on top of a fixed coin. The question is at what point the top coin will leave the lower coin. The speaker has struggled to solve this problem for 45 years, but believes that the condition for "launch" is when the acceleration of the center of mass of the coin exceeds the component of gravitational acceleration in the radial inward direction. This has also been confirmed by another individual who had a similar question on a homework assignment. The key to solving the problem is considering the tangential and radial components of the forces or accelerations, rather than x and y.
dwinsemius

Homework Statement

Doing this from a memory of a final exam question from freshman physics that I could not solve 45+ years ago. A coin of radius R is poised at the top of another (fixed) coin of radius 2R. If it rolls with no slip, at what point will the top coin leave the lower coin. (I got an A in the course so my failure to solve this question did me no lasting damage, but that difficulty has nagged me for decades.)

Homework Equations

:[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]
I set up the equations of motion for the coin in terms of the angle the radius of the coin to the contact point, but I was never able to figure out what to use as the condition for "launch". I suppose I might have set up an equation for the angular velocity assuming there was no loss of contact and that could be used to define an equation for the x-component for the COM. The come up with an expression for differential of x-component of a parabolic trajectory of the COM of the coin being greater. A couple of years ago I posed a similar question on some newsgroup and all I got was a reply saying they thought that Halliday and Resnick had a worked example problem. I even bought a copy and the edition I got had no such solution. Has anyone solved a similar problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question.

I think that the condition for "launch" is simply when the acceleration of the center of mass of the coin (v2/r) needed to keep it following the circular curve of the lower coin exceeds the component of the gravitational acceleration of the coin in the radial inward direction (g times the cosine of the angle from vertical).

... or to express it another way, the rolling coin enters free-fall when the normal force between it and the fixed coin becomes zero.

gneill said:
... or to express it another way, the rolling coin enters free-fall when the normal force between it and the fixed coin becomes zero.
Can confirm, had a question basically identical to this on a homework assignment a couple weeks ago :D:D

@dwinsemius, did that help? The main thing is to consider tangential and radial components of the forces or accelerations, not x and y.

1. What is the concept behind a coin rolling on another coin?

The concept behind a coin rolling on another coin is based on the principles of rotational motion and gravity. When the first coin is placed on top of the second coin, it creates a pivot point and the weight of the first coin causes it to rotate around the second coin until it reaches a stable position.

2. How does the size and weight of the coins affect the point of free fall?

The size and weight of the coins have a significant impact on the point of free fall. The larger and heavier the top coin, the further it will roll before reaching the point of free fall. This is because a larger and heavier coin has more rotational inertia, making it harder to rotate and reach the point of free fall.

3. Does the surface of the coins or the surface they are rolling on affect the point of free fall?

Yes, the surface of the coins and the surface they are rolling on can affect the point of free fall. A smoother surface will create less friction, allowing the coins to roll further before reaching the point of free fall. On the other hand, a rougher surface will create more friction, causing the coins to reach the point of free fall sooner.

4. Can the angle at which the coins are placed affect the point of free fall?

Yes, the angle at which the coins are placed can affect the point of free fall. The steeper the angle, the more potential energy the top coin will have, allowing it to roll further before reaching the point of free fall. A flatter angle will result in less potential energy and the top coin will reach the point of free fall sooner.

5. How does air resistance play a role in the point of free fall?

Air resistance does not have a significant impact on the point of free fall in this scenario. Since the coins are close to the ground and have a small surface area, the effects of air resistance are minimal. However, if the coins were dropped from a higher height, air resistance would play a larger role in determining the point of free fall.