Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #3,361
Apt is such a tiny word. Embiggen your vocabulary!

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes phinds and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,362
After Schrödinger's cat, let me introduce Banach and Tarski's cat:
430104070_718889093740237_6102056449798021959_n.jpg

Likes Ibix
  • #3,363
Why did the biologist go to art class? Because they wanted to learn how to draw conclusions!

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #3,364
Just created this for a friend 😏
1710504303918.png

• Haha
  • Love
Likes DennisN, BillTre, Bystander and 2 others
  • #3,365
Witness the power of this fully operational reviewer 2!
I find your lack of commas disturbing.
The margin size is a pathway to many abilities some find... unnatural.

Likes mfb and Borg
  • #3,366
E: In time you will call me Master.
L: You're gravely mistaken. You won't reject my paper as you did my father's.
E: Oh no, my young undergrad. You will find that it is you who are mistaken...about a great many things.
V: His bachelor diploma.
E: Ah, yes, a PhD student's prerequisite. Much like your father's. By now you must know
your father can never be turned from the current paradigm. So will it be with you.
L: You're wrong. Soon I'll be published...and you with me.
E: Perhaps you refer to the imminent review of your manuscript in Atom Indonesia. Yes...I assure you we are quite safe from your pitiful ideas.
L: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
E: Your faith in a fair review is yours.
V: It is pointless to resist, my son.
E: Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your manuscript in the review process ... is walking into a trap. As is your appeal in Acta Polonica! It was I who allowed your coauthors to know the location of the editorial office. It is quite safe from your pitiful little proof. An entire legion of my former postdocs are on the editorial board. Oh...I'm afraid the manuscript will be quite stuck in an endless review loop.

Hey, this works!

• Haha
Likes mfb, Borg and Bandersnatch
  • #3,367
Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius died from tuberculosis in 1744 when he was 43.

His rival Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit insisted that he was really 109 and had died of old age.

• Haha
Likes sbrothy, berkeman and BillTre
  • #3,370
phinds said:
Most of which are extraordinarily juvenile, unfortunately.
Yeh. I wasn't overly impressed either. But there they were.

• #3,371
William Gladstone: But, after all, what use is it (electricity)?

Faraday: Why, Sir, in all probability, one day you will tax it!

William Gladstone (pointing to a Faraday cage): And what, pray, is the use of that contraption?

Faraday: Well, Sir, in centuries to come, men will store in it the keys to their horseless carriages, in order to prevent brigands from making off with them!

Last edited:
  • #3,372
"To protect people from the electricity so they don't have to pay taxes."

• #3,373
This explains everything!

mars.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Informative
Likes DennisN, gmax137, phinds and 2 others
  • #3,374
I hopefully read all those math/physics jokes, and got a slight snuffle from the sequel to the usual Heisenberg joke.

• #3,375
1711314417165.png

• Haha
Likes DennisN, jack action, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #3,376
berkeman said:
It never gets old, but you have to explain the gag more and more.

I read a story of someone coming into an IT helpdesk with a 5.25" floppy saying it didn't work and could they take a look at it. The user then produced a ringbinder, opened it, and took out the disk which had a neat pair of holes punched in it.

Likes gmax137
  • #3,377
I remember seeing a 5-1/4 floppy stuck to the file cabinet next to the department PC with a magnet, and the yellow sticky said, "someone left this here."

The funniest thing now is "the department PC."

edit: it was mostly used to make Lotus-123 plots with the ink-pen printer. What did we call those things? "Plotters?" where the paper moved and the plotter picked up the pens, grabbing the different colors. I can still here the weird sound those things made.

• #3,378
gmax137 said:
I remember seeing a 5-1/4 floppy stuck to the file cabinet next to the department PC with a magnet, and the yellow sticky said, "someone left this here."

The funniest thing now is "the department PC."

edit: it was mostly used to make Lotus-123 plots with the ink-pen printer. What did we call those things? "Plotters?" where the paper moved and the plotter picked up the pens, grabbing the different colors. I can still here the weird sound those things made.

Our HP plotter had a spring loaded claw that would pick up the pen, and a sensor to detect the pen in the claw. Sometimes the pen would stick in the carousel and then the claw would go back and try again, which was kin of fun to watch. Or if some pen slots were empty, it would try again and again, slot by slot, until it found an alternate pen.

Likes gmax137
  • #3,379
Ahh... the "Good Old Days", when programmers had to actually use their software before it was released.

• #3,380
I used a HP 9836 for more than a decade, overlapping the time when Intel/DOS PCs began to take over. The HP used to boot from a floppy disk. The very idea of a computer "crash" was alien to me as long as I was using only the HP. Floppy disks would work reliably for years in the HP, while disks from the same pack would often fail in the PC while still new.

Likes berkeman
  • #3,381
IMG_0065.jpeg

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #3,382
Frabjous said:
img_0065-jpeg.jpg
It never occurred to me until now that Einstein proved that a grade of ##c##+ is impossible, and as for the programming language ##c##++...

Likes Frabjous
  • #3,383
So if your grade is higher than C+ (a B or an A) then you must be moving backwards in time?

• #3,384
Not in all reference frames.
Your mass is now imaginary, however.

Likes gmax137
  • #3,386
  • #3,387
Bystander said:
We really do need something for these....
Heisenberg is uncertain if the joke is funny
Schrodinger says maybe it is and maybe it is not funny
Einstein says it is relative to your inertial state of mind.

• #3,388
Lie Algebra : Retracted math paper.

Likes Ibix, mfb and BillTre
  • #3,389
1712604706021.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, Tom.G, Ibix and 2 others
  • #3,390
string-theory.jpg

• Haha
Likes Borg, berkeman and Baluncore
  • #3,391
1713344089634.png

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, BillTre, Filip Larsen and 4 others
  • #3,392
I hear that his brother etc. is also prolific writer.

Likes BillTre and Ibix
  • #3,393
One of Terry Pratchett's books features a philosopher called Ibid, the most widely cited writer on all the Disk. He actually turns out to be worthy of such widespread citation when they finally meet him, if memory serves.

Last edited:
  • #3,394
  • Haha
Likes DrClaude and jack action
  • #3,395
DrGreg said:
Until someone realised that "Prawo Jazdy" is Polish for "Driving Licence".
Not the first time linguistic challenges play a role. Reminds me of the bridge of the bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puente_de_Alcántara
Obviously some spaniards asked the Moors what it was, and so the Moors answered "the bridge" (Alcantara) whereby the Spanish promptly named it the bridge of (puente de) the bridge (Alcantara).

Apparently the world is full of such examples:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tautological_place_names

Edit: Also meet hill hill hill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_Hill