Colliding balls with different masses

• Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
Is it?In summary, the problem involves a plastic collision between two balls (M1 and M2) with masses M1 and M2 respectively, in a one-dimensional setting. The kinetic energy of M1 is 20 times that of M2, and the problem asks for the ratio between the masses at which the combined mass (M1+M2) moves in the direction of the lesser energy mass. Using the equation Ek1=20Ek2, the ratio is found to be m1/m2=20(v1/v2)^2. The problem presents two scenarios: both balls moving in the same direction and the momentum of M2 being greater than M1, but with Ek1>Ek2 and V1>V
devanlevin
2 balls, with masses of M1, M2, are involved in a plastic collision, one dimentional.. the kinetic energy of the ball m1 is 20 times that of m2. at what ratio between the masses will the new mass(m1+m2) move in the direction the lesser energy mass mas moving.

from Ek1=20Ek2
[tex]\frac{m1v1^2}{2}[/tex]=20[tex]\frac{m2v2^2}{2}[/tex]
from this i get, what i'll call ratio(I)
m1/m2=20(v1/v2)^2

i think there are 2 possible scenarios,
*they are both moving in the same direction
*the momentum of M2 is bigger than M1 ==>P2>P1 but Ek1>Ek2, so M1<M2 but V1>V2,

for the 1st scenario there are 2 cases
a)

(M1)-----> (M2)--->

V1>V2 ===} in which case, using the ratio(I) i got before, if v1>v2 then m1/m2<20

similarily in case 2

(M2)-----> (M1)--->

where v2>v1, here i'll get m1/m2>20

and for the second scenario

(M1)-----> <---(M2)

here i end up with m1/m2<1/20

these answers are similar to the correct answers, according to my textbook, only there ALL the signs are opposites, all the >'s are < etc,
can you see where i have gone wrong or could this be a mistake in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi devanlevin,

devanlevin said:
2 balls, with masses of M1, M2, are involved in a plastic collision, one dimentional.. the kinetic energy of the ball m1 is 20 times that of m2. at what ratio between the masses will the new mass(m1+m2) move in the direction the lesser energy mass mas moving.

from Ek1=20Ek2
m1/m2=20(v1/v2)^2

I have not looked closely at the rest of your problem, but here I believe you have made an algebra error. On the right hand side, v1 and v2 should be switched.

sorry, my mistake, it is meant to be switched,,, its just a typo and in my actual workings its switched,
funnily enough if i left it that way it would work the way the answers are in the book
please take a look at the rest

devanlevin said:

from Ek1=20Ek2
m1/m2=20(v1/v2)^2

i think there are 2 possible scenarios,
*they are both moving in the same direction

I don't think the problem is asking about this scenario. If both masses are moving to the right, then after the collision the combined mass will still be moving to the right, no matter what the mass ratio is.

It's true if the leading mass is faster then they will not collide, but the problem states that they do collide, so I don't see where they would be asking this.

*the momentum of M2 is bigger than M1 ==>P2>P1 but Ek1>Ek2, so M1<M2 but V1>V2,

That looks right; we need the momentum of m2 to be larger than that of m1.

and for the second scenario

(M1)-----> <---(M2)

here i end up with m1/m2<1/20

these answers are similar to the correct answers, according to my textbook, only there ALL the signs are opposites, all the >'s are < etc,

What do you mean by similar? Is the only difference the opposite inequality symbol? Your result here looks correct to me.

But you can check it. Your result just says that m2 > 20 m1. So choose m1=1, and choose an m2 that's greater than 20 (40 would be convenient). Then choose v2=1, and calculate the v1 from the KE equation.

Once you have the masses and velocities, if momentum of m2 is larger than m1, then your result should be true.

Related to Colliding balls with different masses

1. How does the mass of a ball affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass of a ball plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a collision. In a collision between two balls of different masses, the ball with the greater mass will experience less change in its velocity and direction, while the smaller ball will experience a more significant change.

2. What is the relationship between the masses of colliding balls and the amount of kinetic energy transferred?

The amount of kinetic energy transferred between two colliding balls is directly proportional to the difference in their masses. If two balls with significantly different masses collide, the larger ball will transfer more kinetic energy to the smaller ball, resulting in a more significant change in its motion.

3. Can two balls with the same mass collide and result in a change in their motion?

Yes, even if two balls have the same mass, a collision can result in a change in their motion. This change will depend on factors such as the angle and speed at which the balls collide, as well as any external forces acting on the balls.

4. How does the elasticity of the balls affect the outcome of a collision?

The elasticity of the balls plays a significant role in determining the outcome of a collision. In an elastic collision, both balls will bounce off each other with equal and opposite forces, resulting in a change in their velocities. In an inelastic collision, the two balls will stick together after the collision, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

5. Are there any other factors, besides mass, that can affect the outcome of a collision between two balls?

Yes, besides mass, several other factors can influence the outcome of a collision between two balls. These include the angle and speed at which the balls collide, the shape and surface texture of the balls, and any external forces acting on the balls, such as friction or air resistance.