Colors inside formulas imported from MathType

In summary, the person is looking for a way to include colors in formulas using the software MathType. They used to be able to easily paste equations on PhysicsForums, but are now having issues. They have discovered that the "Equation for application or website" option in the Copy preferences of MathType works best for pasting on PhysicsForums. However, the copied code does not include colors, so they suggest manually adding them in with code. They also mention that the preview functionality on the forum is not working properly and needs to be fixed.
Saw
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How to include colors in numbers or letters of equations, esp. when pasted from MathType
I would like to include colors in letters or numbers inside formulas just like I did here with text.
By the way, I use the software MathType to build my formulas and used to be able to paste the equations easily on PhysicsForums, but can't do it lately. Do you know by chance the Copy-and-Paste option that I should choose at MathType so that the equation is readable here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I could answer myself.

With MathType (6.9 in my case), the Copy preference is last option "Equation for application or website" and choose Physics Forum in the list.

The copied code unfortunately misses the colors but you can edit it to reinclude them with code, for example, \color{red}{thenumberorletter}, like here:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\color{red}{e_x} = (\color{blue}{e_x},0) = (1,0)\\
\color{red}{e_t} = (v\color{blue}{e_x},{e_t}) = (v,1)
\end{array}[/tex]

The thing is that, as noted in some threads, the preview functionality works erratically. Apparently you need to reload the page... Bug to be fixed, isn't it?

1. What is MathType and how does it affect colors inside formulas?

MathType is a popular mathematical equation editor that allows users to create complex formulas and equations. When these formulas are imported into other programs, such as word processors or presentation software, the colors used within the MathType interface may not be preserved.

2. Can I change the colors within a MathType formula after it has been imported?

Yes, you can change the colors of a MathType formula after it has been imported into another program. Many programs have built-in tools for editing and formatting equations, including the ability to change colors.

3. Will changing the colors of a MathType formula affect its functionality?

No, changing the colors within a MathType formula will not affect its functionality. The colors are purely for visual purposes and do not impact the underlying equation or its calculations.

4. Why are the colors inside my imported MathType formula different from what I originally chose?

This can happen if the program you are importing the formula into does not support the full range of colors available in MathType. Some colors may not be recognized and will default to a different color in the imported formula.

5. Can I copy and paste a colored MathType formula into a different program and preserve the colors?

Yes, you can copy and paste a colored MathType formula into another program and the colors should be preserved. However, as mentioned before, some colors may not be recognized and will default to a different color in the new program.