What is the probability of drawing an ace or a club from a deck of cards?

• Thread starter iceblits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: P\{C2 = club\} = \frac{52 \times 13}{52!} \approx 0.00629 \: 10^{-65}, instead of the correct value 13/51 =...? and P\{C2 = ace of clubs\} = \frac{52 \times 1}{52!} \approx 0.0192 \: 10^{-65}, instead of the correct value 1/52 =...?I think the problem is that you have the right idea, but you are not counting correctly. I suggest you try to write out explicitly all the cases where the first card is an ace and where the second card is
iceblits

Homework Statement

You draw 2 cards from a standard deck of cards without replacement.
a.) what is the probability that the first card is an ace OR the second card is a clubs.
b.) what is the probability that the first card is an ace AND the second card is a clubs

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I thought there were 2 cases to consider: your first card could be any of 3 aces that are not the club (3/52 probability) and you add to that the probability of drawing a club on your second draw (13/51). the other case is drawing the ace of clubs (probability 1/52) and adding to it the probability of drawing a club on the second try(12/51). So in all I have (3/52)+(13/51)+(1/52)+(12/51) which is a probability higher than 1/2 and it seems wrong.

b.) Same thing except this time i multiplied:
(3/52)*(13/51)+(1/52)*(12/51)

due to my suspicious answer for part (a) I suspect (b) is also wrong. I do not have the answer sheet.

-thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
iceblits said:

Homework Statement

You draw 2 cards from a standard deck of cards without replacement.
a.) what is the probability that the first card is an ace OR the second card is a clubs.
b.) what is the probability that the first card is an ace AND the second card is a clubs

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I thought there were 2 cases to consider: your first card could be any of 3 aces that are not the club (3/52 probability) and you add to that the probability of drawing a club on your second draw (13/51). the other case is drawing the ace of clubs (probability 1/52) and adding to it the probability of drawing a club on the second try(12/51). So in all I have (3/52)+(13/51)+(1/52)+(12/51) which is a probability higher than 1/2 and it seems wrong.

b.) Same thing except this time i multiplied:
(3/52)*(13/51)+(1/52)*(12/51)

due to my suspicious answer for part (a) I suspect (b) is also wrong. I do not have the answer sheet.

-thank you

Why can't the first card be the ace of clubs? Given two events A and B, do you recall the formula for getting P{A or B}?

I think that is my second case. AUB=A+B-A(And)B right? so are you saying then that a.) should be p(ace)+p(clubs)-p(ace of clubs) so (4/52)+(13/51)-(1/52)? I guess I am just confused about what to do with the drawing of two cards..because drawing one card decreases the number

iceblits said:
I think that is my second case. AUB=A+B-A(And)B right?
Yes, so it will be easier to do b) first.
so are you saying then that a.) should be p(ace)+p(clubs)-p(ace of clubs) so (4/52)+(13/51)-(1/52)?
There are two things wrong with that.
Nobody said anything about the Ace of Clubs. The Ace condition applies to one card, the Club to another.
13/51 would apply to the second card if you knew the first card was a club, but you have no information on that, whether it was Ace or not.
The events 'first card is Ace' and 'second card is club' are independent. Your original calculation for b) was correct, but it's simpler using the formula for joint probabilities of independent events.

Oh I see!..
So would the and question then be: P(ace first)*P(clubs on second draw|probability of ace on first draw)=4/52*12/51

edit: just realized you are referring to the (b)...I think I'm still stuck on (a)...I will think about what you said

iceblits said:
I think that is my second case. AUB=A+B-A(And)B right? so are you saying then that a.) should be p(ace)+p(clubs)-p(ace of clubs) so (4/52)+(13/51)-(1/52)? I guess I am just confused about what to do with the drawing of two cards..because drawing one card decreases the number

Sometimes it helps to think of an actual "sample space" for the experiment. In this case, imagine laying out all 52 cards in a row and then just looking at the first two cards in the row.

There are 52! possible permutations of the 52 cards. In how many of these permutations is the first card an ace? In how many permutations is the second card a club? In how many permutations is the second card the ace of clubs? From the answers to these questions you can get P{first = ace}, P{second = club} and P{second = ace of clubs}. That will let you answer (a), and you can look at (b) in a similar way.

Oh are you saying: AUB=A+B-A(and)B implies AUB=(4/52)+(13/51)-(the answer from part b)?

Ray Vickson said:
Sometimes it helps to think of an actual "sample space" for the experiment. In this case, imagine laying out all 52 cards in a row and then just looking at the first two cards in the row.

There are 52! possible permutations of the 52 cards. In how many of these permutations is the first card an ace? In how many permutations is the second card a club? In how many permutations is the second card the ace of clubs? From the answers to these questions you can get P{first = ace}, P{second = club} and P{second = ace of clubs}. That will let you answer (a), and you can look at (b) in a similar way.

is it..

The first card is an ace in: 4*51 cases
The second card is a club in: 52*13 cases
The second card an ace of clubs: 52*1

iceblits said:
Oh are you saying: AUB=A+B-A(and)B implies AUB=(4/52)+(13/51)-(the answer from part b)?
Almost, but how do you get 13/51? Remember that B is "the second card from the deck is a club". If it asked for the probability that the last card in the deck was a club, what would you answer?

iceblits said:
is it..

The first card is an ace in: 4*51 cases
The second card is a club in: 52*13 cases
The second card an ace of clubs: 52*1

Are you sure? Your reckoning gives
[tex] P\{C1 = ace\} = \frac{4 \times 51}{52!} \approx 0.253 \:10^{-65},[/tex] instead of the correct value 4/52 = 1/13.

Ray Vickson said:
Are you sure? Your reckoning gives
[tex] P\{C1 = ace\} = \frac{4 \times 51}{52!} \approx 0.253 \:10^{-65},[/tex] instead of the correct value 4/52 = 1/13.

Oh!
So it should be a factorial..i forgot about the ways to arrange the rest of the cards

haruspex said:
Almost, but how do you get 13/51? Remember that B is "the second card from the deck is a club". If it asked for the probability that the last card in the deck was a club, what would you answer?

Last card i would say...
1-(51!/(52!))?
Edit: that's not right

Ray Vickson said:

Using this method do i get:
(4*51!+13*52*51!-52*1*50!)/(52!)?

haruspex said:

So it should be just 13/52?

iceblits said:
Yes. The probability that any given card is a Club, with no other information, must be 1/4. The information that the first card was an ace doesn't alter this, because that card also has a 1/4 chance of being a club.

Oh so is it really something as simple as: 4/52+13/52-1/52 lol?

iceblits said:

To expand on haruspex' answer (and using the 'permutations' representation I spoke of before), the number of permutations in which the last card is a club is 13*51!, so P{last card is a club} = 13*51!/52! = 13/52 = 1/4.

Ray Vickson said:
To expand on haruspex' answer (and using the 'permutations' representation I spoke of before), the number of permutations in which the last card is a club is 13*51!, so P{last card is a club} = 13*51!/52! = 13/52 = 1/4.

So its the same...!

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical probability formula: P(A) = # of favorable outcomes / # of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations.

4. Can probability be greater than 1?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1. If the calculated probability is greater than 1, it means that the event is impossible.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in various fields, such as statistics, finance, and science, to make predictions and informed decisions. It is also used in everyday situations, such as weather forecasting, sports betting, and risk assessment.