Combined Stress of Cable Around Pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of total stress on a cable being used to lift an object through a pulley system. The main factors to consider are the tensile stress in the cable, stress in the bar or cable supporting the pulley, and bending stress in the pulley's axis. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate the combined stresses in the cable and is looking for methods to do so. They mention that bending stresses in the cable are usually assumed to be negligible.
formula428
I have an application where I'm trying to lift an object by using a pulley and pulling on the cable. We were forced to use a pretty small pulley and thin cable, so my question is how to analyze the total stress of the cable? I should be looking for axial stress, bending stress (cable around pulley), and bearing stress (cable onto pulley)?

I did some initial calculations and they didn't seem to make sense. Note the cable we are using is a McMaster multi-strand flexible cable, so I know it's pretty easy to physically bend it around. How would I go about calculating these?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main factor (about the cable) is the tensile stress in the cable. This will tell if it can hold the load.
There is also the stress in the bar or cable that supports the pulley. And if the pulley is really flimsy you may bend its axis so you may need to look at the bending stress in the axis too..

I'm not concerned about the pulley or bolt/pin that supports it, those are easy checks and I'm plenty good there.

My question is how to actually calculate the combined stresses in the cable. What methods are used?

It is usually assumed that the bending stresses in a cable are negligible. Take the cable and see what kind of bending stresses you calculate based on the radius of the pulley and the thickness of the cable.

1. What is combined stress of cable around pulley?

Combined stress of cable around pulley refers to the total amount of stress experienced by a cable when it is wrapped around a pulley. This stress is a combination of both tension stress and bending stress.

2. Why is combined stress of cable around pulley important to consider?

It is important to consider combined stress of cable around pulley because it can have a significant impact on the strength and durability of the cable. If the combined stress exceeds the maximum allowable stress, it can lead to failure of the cable.

3. How is combined stress of cable around pulley calculated?

The combined stress of cable around pulley can be calculated by adding the tension stress and bending stress. Tension stress can be calculated using the formula σ = F/A, where σ is the stress, F is the force applied to the cable, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cable. Bending stress can be calculated using the formula σ = Mc/I, where σ is the stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia.

4. What factors can affect the combined stress of cable around pulley?

The combined stress of cable around pulley can be affected by several factors such as the magnitude of the applied force, the diameter of the pulley, the material and diameter of the cable, and the angle at which the cable is wrapped around the pulley. Friction between the cable and the pulley can also affect the combined stress.

5. How can the combined stress of cable around pulley be reduced?

The combined stress of cable around pulley can be reduced by using a larger diameter pulley, reducing the angle at which the cable is wrapped around the pulley, or using a larger and stronger cable. Proper lubrication can also reduce friction and decrease the combined stress. It is important to consider these factors when designing systems that involve cables and pulleys to ensure the safety and longevity of the components.