Commutation and Measurement of Observables

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with two observables, ##\hat{B}## and ##\hat{C}##, and their corresponding eigenvectors. The speaker has solved part a. by finding the commutator of the two observables to be non-zero, indicating that they do not have a common set of eigenvectors. However, they realize that there may be a special case where they do have a common eigenvector. The conversation then moves on to discussing part b., where the speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem and asks for clarification. The other person confirms that the state after the measurement of ##\hat{C}## with a result of -1 would be the eigenv
Mr_Allod
Homework Statement
Let the Hilbert space be ##\mathcal H = \mathbb C^3##. Consider the two observables:
$$\hat B = \begin{pmatrix}
2 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$
$$\hat C = \begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

a. Do ##\hat B## and ##\hat C## have common eigenvectors?
b. Assume that we have done the measurement characterized by ##\hat C## and we are measuring the value -1. Then we immediately do the measurement characterized by ##\hat B## right after measuring ##\hat C##. What is the expectation value of that measurement?
Relevant Equations
Commutator Relation: ##\left[ \hat B, \hat C\right] = \hat B \hat C - \hat C \hat B##
Expectation value: ##\langle \hat B \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat B \psi \rangle##
Hello there, I am having trouble with part b. of this problem. I've solved part a. by calculating the commutator of the two observables and found it to be non-zero, which should mean that ##\hat B## and ##\hat C## do not have common eigenvectors. Although calculating the eigenvectors for each one actually yields that they do have one in common (##\vec v = (1, 0, 0)##), I chose to interpret the question as asking if they have a common set of eigenvectors, in which case my answer would be that they do not.

Now I don't really know how to approach part b. I feel like I am missing information even though I'm sure this isn't the case and I'm just not seeing something that's right in front of me. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain the concept behind part b. to help me reach a solution, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the state of the system after the measurement of ##\hat{C}## if the result was -1?

DrClaude said:
What is the state of the system after the measurement of ##\hat{C}## if the result was -1?
Would it be the state given by the eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue ##\lambda = -1##?

Likes PeroK
Mr_Allod said:
Would it be the state given by the eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue ##\lambda = -1##?
Correct. Now that you have the state, you can calculate the expectation value of ##\hat{B}##.

Mr_Allod said:
Hello there, I am having trouble with part b. of this problem. I've solved part a. by calculating the commutator of the two observables and found it to be non-zero, which should mean that ##\hat B## and ##\hat C## do not have common eigenvectors.
This is not a valid argument!

Example: Due to the angular-momentum commutation relations ##[\hat{J}_x,\hat{J}_y]=\mathrm{i} \hat{J}_z## the two angular momentum components ##\hat{J}_x## and ##\hat{J}_y## don't commute, but they have a common eigenvector, namely the one with ##j=0##, ##j_z=0##. This is a common eigenvector of all three angular-momentum components with the eigenvalue ##0##. Of course there's no common complete orthonormal set of eigenvectors, because the operators don't commute, but there can be special cases of common eigenvectors although two self-adjoint operators don't commute. So you have to check it carefully for any given example!

In your example the two matrices have the obvious common eigenvector ##(1,0,0)^{\text{T}}##!

1. What is commutation of observables?

Commutation of observables refers to the mathematical operation of taking the commutator of two observables in quantum mechanics. The commutator measures the degree to which two observables can be simultaneously measured with certainty. If the commutator is equal to zero, the two observables can be measured simultaneously with certainty. If the commutator is non-zero, the two observables cannot be measured simultaneously with certainty.

2. Why is commutation of observables important?

Commutation of observables is important because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of physical systems at the microscopic level. It allows us to determine which observables can be measured simultaneously and which cannot, which is crucial in accurately describing the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of observables simultaneously. This is because the act of measuring one observable affects the value of the other observable, making it impossible to measure both with certainty. This principle is closely related to the concept of commutation of observables.

4. How is the commutator of two observables calculated?

The commutator of two observables is calculated by taking the product of the two observables and subtracting the product of the second observable with the first observable in reverse order. Mathematically, it can be represented as [A, B] = AB - BA, where A and B are the two observables in question.

5. What is the significance of the commutator being equal to zero?

If the commutator of two observables is equal to zero, it means that the two observables commute with each other. This implies that the two observables can be measured simultaneously with certainty, and their values do not affect each other. This is an important concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and perform measurements accurately.