Commutation between operators of different Hilbert spaces

In summary, the spin operator and orbital angular momentum operator in a multi-electron atom commute, despite acting on wavefunctions living in different Hilbert spaces. This is because the abstract quantum state of the system is a member of the tensor product of these two Hilbert spaces, making it possible to calculate the commutator. The spin and orbital angular momentum operators act on vector-valued functions on the same Hilbert space, but with the spin operator acting on the components of the functions. This results in the operators commuting.
Wminus
Hi!

If I have understood things correctly, in a multi-electron atom you have that the spin operator ##S## commutes with the orbital angular momentum operator ##L##. However, as these operators act on wavefunctions living in different Hilbert spaces, how is it possible to even calculate the commutator?

I mean, you can't calculate the commutator between ##\hat{H} = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}## and ##\hat{p}= \frac{\hbar}{i} \vec{\nabla}## precisely because of different hiblert spaces, so why is ##L## and ##S## different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wminus said:
I mean, you can't calculate the commutator between ##\hat{H} = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} and ##\hat{p}= \frac{\hbar}{i} \vec{\nabla}## precisely because of different hiblert spaces
At first note that usually ##\hat H## is used for the Hamiltonian which isn't identical with the temporal derivative operator.
Anyway, what you say here is wrong You surely can calculate that commutator and its really straight-forward. You just should consider the position-space wave-function together with its temporal dependence and calculate ## [ i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t},\frac{\hbar}{i} \vec{\nabla}]\Psi(\vec x,t)##. Also there is only one Hilbert space here, the space of square-integrable complex valued functions.

And about the commutator of spin and orbital angular momentum operators. Here there are two Hilbert spaces and the abstract quantum state of the system is a member of the tensor product of these two Hilbert spaces, so we have ## |\Psi\rangle=\sum_{nm} c_{nm}|\Phi_n\rangle\otimes |\Sigma_m\rangle## where ## \{|\Phi_n\rangle\}## is a basis for the spatial Hilbert space and ## \{|\Sigma_m\rangle\}## is a basis for the spin Hilbert space. The operators are tensor products of operators acting on each Hilbert space too. So instead of ## \hat L ## or ## \hat S##, we should have ## \hat L \otimes \hat I_{spin} ## and ## \hat I_{spatial} \otimes \hat S##.
Now we can calculate the commutator: ## [\hat L \otimes \hat I_{spin},\hat I_{spatial} \otimes \hat S]=[\hat L,\hat I_{spatial}]\otimes [\hat I_{spin},\hat S]##.

Likes Wminus
What @Shyan says is correct. But I think that, for practical calculations, the following point of view is more convenient.

The tensor product Hilbert space ##L^{2}(\mathbb{R}^{3})\otimes\mathbb{C}^{2}## of the two spaces ##L^{2}(\mathbb{R}^{3})## and ##\mathbb{C}^{2}## is isomorphic to the Hilbert space ##L^{2}(\mathbb{R}^{3},\mathbb{C}^{2})##, which is the space of square integrable vector-valued (over ##\mathbb{C}^{2}##; in the integral expression of the inner product, one uses the natural inner product on ##\mathbb{C}^{2}## rather than the complex modulus of ##\mathbb{C}##) functions on ##\mathbb{R}^{3}##.

In this way, both the orbital angular momentum and the spin operators act always on these vector-valued functions on ##\mathbb{R}^{3}##. But the angular momentum operators are given by the usual differential operators and act componentwise, while the spin operators are given by the usual matrices and act on the components of the functions (and thus mixing them), i.e.,

$$
S\left(\begin{array}{c}
A\\
B
\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}
a & b\\
c & d
\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}
A\\
B
\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c}
aA+bB\\
cA+dB
\end{array}\right)$$ and $$
L\left(\begin{array}{c}
A\\
B
\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c}
LA\\
LB
\end{array}\right)$$

You can easily check that the two operators commute.

1. What is the definition of commutation between operators of different Hilbert spaces?

Commutation between operators of different Hilbert spaces refers to the property of operators acting on different Hilbert spaces to either commute or not commute with each other. This property is important in quantum mechanics as it determines the compatibility of different observables and the order in which they can be measured.

2. How is commutation between operators of different Hilbert spaces mathematically described?

Mathematically, the commutation between operators A and B belonging to different Hilbert spaces is given by the commutator [A,B] = AB - BA. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the operators commute, and if it is non-zero, then they do not commute.

3. What is the significance of commutation between operators of different Hilbert spaces in quantum mechanics?

The commutation between operators of different Hilbert spaces is essential in quantum mechanics as it helps determine the compatibility of different observables. If two operators commute, they can be measured simultaneously and their order of measurement does not affect the outcome. However, if they do not commute, their order of measurement does affect the outcome, and they are said to be incompatible observables.

4. Can operators on different Hilbert spaces commute with each other?

Yes, operators on different Hilbert spaces can commute with each other. This means that they are compatible observables and can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's outcomes. An example of two commuting operators is position and momentum in quantum mechanics.

5. What are the consequences of non-commutation between operators of different Hilbert spaces?

If two operators do not commute, their order of measurement affects the outcome, and they are said to be incompatible observables. This means that the act of measuring one observable can change the state of the system, making it impossible to know the exact state of the system at any given time. Non-commuting operators also lead to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.