Commutators in second quantization

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of commutators [\Psi(r),H] and [\Psi^{\dagger}(r),H] where H is a free particle Hamiltonian in second quantization. There are mistakes in the attempts provided, specifically forgetting the part of the sum involving creation operators and using incorrect notation for fermion operators. The recommended method for computing the commutators is to define a(f) as the sum of f(k) times the annihilation operator at position r, calculate anti-commutators, and integrate over r. The conversation also clarifies the difference between boson and fermion operators and their corresponding notation.
daudaudaudau
Hi. I've been trying to calculate a couple of commutators, namely [itex][\Psi(r),H][/itex] and [itex][\Psi^{\dagger}(r),H][/itex] where H is a free particle hamiltonian in second quantization. I have attached my attempts and I would greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me if I am right or if there is a better way to do it.

Attachments

• commutators.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 269
Physics news on Phys.org
daudaudaudau said:
Hi. I've been trying to calculate a couple of commutators, namely [itex][\Psi(r),H][/itex] and [itex][\Psi^{\dagger}(r),H][/itex] where H is a free particle hamiltonian in second quantization. I have attached my attempts and I would greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me if I am right or if there is a better way to do it.

There are mistakes already on line 5 and on line 6.
In substituting Psi in line 5, you forgot the part of the sum involving creation operators.
The part you have given vanishes since the commutator [a_k,a_k'] is zero, at least in the usual notation.

A. Neumaier said:
There are mistakes already on line 5 and on line 6.
In substituting Psi in line 5, you forgot the part of the sum involving creation operators.
The part you have given vanishes since the commutator [a_k,a_k'] is zero, at least in the usual notation.

It's not zero because it is a commutator of fermion operators. It would be zero if they were boson operators. For fermions it is the anti-commutator which is zero.

daudaudaudau said:
It's not zero because it is a commutator of fermion operators.

Nothing on your page had mentioned that. Still, things are not ok - in the equality on line 5, you forgot the creation part of Psi(r).

The best way to compute the commutators is to
(i) define a(f) := sum f(k) a_k,
(ii) compute for arbitrary functions f and g the anti-commutators
{a(f),a(g)}, {a(f),a^*(g)}, {a^*(f),a(g)}, and {a^*(f),a^*(g)},
(iii) write [A,BC]=ABC-BCA={A,B}C-B{A,C} to compute commutators of three Psi terms,
(iv) integrate over r.

A. Neumaier said:
Nothing on your page had mentioned that. Still, things are not ok - in the equality on line 5, you forgot the creation part of Psi(r).

Do we agree that Psi(r) ([itex]\Psi(r)[/itex]) is the annihilation operator at position r? So what do you mean by the creation part of Psi(r) ? I have just written [itex]\Psi(r)=\sum_k e^{ikr}a_k[/itex]

I tried doing it your way by calculating the anti-commutators, and it went a lot smoother. I still have a little problem with the second commutator though.

Attachments

• commutators2.pdf
    84.1 KB · Views: 231
daudaudaudau said:
Do we agree that Psi(r) ([itex]\Psi(r)[/itex]) is the annihilation operator at position r? So what do you mean by the creation part of Psi(r) ? I have just written [itex]\Psi(r)=\sum_k e^{ikr}a_k[/itex]

Well, since it is your problem, we can agree on anything you like, but nobody can guess what you mean if you use standard notation to designate nonstandard things.
You'd define all the terms you are using in a way differently from the traditional context (where iin the absence of other informations, bosons are the default, and where space-dependent fields are decomposed into creation and annihilation operators).
So please add proper explanations to your symbols...

I actually thought I was using pretty standard notation(except for the boson vs. fermion default). I'm reading books on many particle theory such as G.D. Mahan's "Many Particle Physics".

[itex]\Psi(r)[/itex] is the annihilation operator at point [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\Psi^\dagger (r)[/itex] is the corresponding creation operator. These operators obey the anti-commutation relation [itex]\{\Psi(r),\Psi^\dagger (r')\}=\delta(r-r')[/itex], so they are fermion operators. Using these operators the free particle Hamiltonian is written [itex]H_0=\int dr\Psi^\dagger (r)\left(-\frac{1}{2m}\nabla^2 _r\right)\Psi(r)[/itex]. We have another set of fermion operators [itex]a_k[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger _k[/itex] that annihilate/create states of momentum [itex]k[/itex]. I can then express i.e. [itex]\Psi(r)[/itex] in terms of these as [itex]\Psi(r)=\sum_k e^{ikr}a_k[/itex]. Actually I should divide by [itex]\sqrt{V}[/itex] here, where V is the volume, but I just leave that out.

Last edited:
daudaudaudau said:
I actually thought I was using pretty standard notation(except for the boson vs. fermion default). I'm reading books on many particle theory such as G.D. Mahan's "Many Particle Physics".

This explains things. You work in a nonrelativistic setting. Then you indeed don't have the antiparticle part.

daudaudaudau said:
I tried doing it your way by calculating the anti-commutators, and it went a lot smoother. I still have a little problem with the second commutator though.

In line -4 you'd put the ^2 outside the parentheses; then you get the correct result (of opposite sign).

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with an indefinite number of particles. It is an extension of the traditional quantum mechanics formalism, which only deals with individual particles.

2. What are commutators in second quantization?

Commutators in second quantization are mathematical operators used to describe the behavior of particles in a system. They represent the non-commutative nature of quantum mechanics, where the order in which operations are performed affects the final result.

3. How are commutators calculated in second quantization?

Commutators in second quantization are calculated using the creation and annihilation operators, which are used to create and destroy particles in a system. The commutator between two operators is defined as the difference between their product in the normal and anti-normal order.

4. What is the significance of commutators in second quantization?

Commutators in second quantization are important because they provide a way to describe the dynamics of a system with an indefinite number of particles. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in a quantum system, such as their energy and momentum.

5. How do commutators in second quantization relate to other quantum mechanical concepts?

Commutators in second quantization are closely related to other concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation. They provide a way to calculate and understand the behavior of particles in a system, and their properties can be used to derive other important quantum mechanical relations.