Commutators with the Dirac Equation

In summary, the commutator of H with the spin angular momentum S is -i\hbarc\gamma^0(\gammaxp) where p=\frac{\hbar}{i}\vec{\nabla}. This is shown by computing the commutator of \gamma^0 \gamma^i with \Sigma^j, which results in 2i \epsilon_{ijk} \gamma^0 \gamma^k.
Greener1387

Homework Statement

(Introduction to Elementary Particles, David Griffiths. Ch 7 Problem 7.8 (c))
Find the commutator of H with the spin angular momentum, S=[tex] \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex][tex]\vec{\Sigma}[/tex]. In other words find [H,S]

Homework Equations

For the Dirac equation, the Hamiltonian H=c[tex]\gamma^0[/tex]([tex]\vec{\gamma} \cdot [/tex]p+mc) where p=[tex]\frac{\hbar}{i}[/tex][tex]\vec{\nabla}[/tex]

Where [tex]

\vec{\gamma} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & \vec{\sigma}\\
-\vec{\sigma} & 0
\end{array}
\right)

[/tex] where [tex]\vec{\sigma}[/tex] are the pauli spin matrices

And [tex]
\vec{\Sigma} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\vec{\sigma} & 0\\
0 & \vec{\sigma}
\end{array}
\right)

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In a previous part of the problem we determined that the commutator for orbit angular momentum L, [H,L]=-i[tex]\hbar[/tex]c[tex]\gamma^0[/tex] ([tex]\gamma[/tex]xp). The point of the problem is to show that Total Angular Momentum J=L+S commutes with the Hamiltonian, so we know that [H,S] should be -[H,L].

My initial attempt at a solution was to explicitly write out all the matrices and decompose p into it's cartesian coordinates and then hopefully recognize a cross product after factoring out an i. The problem I ran into was that there were a few terms on the backwards diagonal that did not involve i and did not cancel out. If nothing else works I'll triple check that, but I think what is needed is to make the quantized p substitution. But when I do that, I'm at a loss for how to handle the expression for the commutator with that definition of p. It also seems a bit strange to me to have a cross product where the first term in the cross product has three components of 4x4 matrices and the second term is a three component vector.

Can anybody verify which method I should follow or where I made any bad assumptions?

Any bold letters are three component vectors, not four

Physics news on Phys.org
all you have to do is compute

[tex] [\gamma^0 \gamma^i , \Sigma^j ] = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & [\sigma^i ,\sigma^j ] \\ [\sigma^i ,\sigma^j ] & 0 \end{pmatrix} = 2i \epsilon_{ijk} \begin{pmatrix} 0 & \sigma^k \\ \sigma^k & 0 \end{pmatrix} = 2i \epsilon_{ijk} \gamma^0 \gamma^k [/tex]

i'm sure you can manage the rest like putting in factors and writing it in vector notation

Thanks, sgd37, writing it in [tex] \epsilon_{ijk} [/tex] notation definitely cleared things up for me.

Related to Commutators with the Dirac Equation

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in relativistic systems. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is a cornerstone of modern physics.

2. What is a commutator in relation to the Dirac equation?

A commutator is a mathematical operation used to determine how two operators interact with each other. In the context of the Dirac equation, it is used to study the behavior of fermions in relativistic systems and can provide important insights into the properties of these particles.

3. How are commutators used in the Dirac equation?

Commutators are used to calculate the time evolution of quantum mechanical systems described by the Dirac equation. They can also be used to determine the properties of fermions, such as their spin and angular momentum, in these systems.

4. What are some applications of commutators with the Dirac equation?

Commutators with the Dirac equation have numerous applications in physics, including in the study of quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. They are also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.

5. Are there any limitations to using commutators with the Dirac equation?

While commutators with the Dirac equation have proven to be a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of fermions, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in highly complex systems or in extreme conditions, such as near the event horizon of a black hole.