Comparing gravitational force at varying distances

In summary, the problem asks for the comparison of gravitational forces between Halley’s Comet and the sun at aphelion (4.5 x 10^12 m) and perihelion (5.0 x 10^10 m). Since the masses are not provided, the Law of Universal Gravitation is used. The ratio of forces is F(aphelion)/F(perihelion) and the result is that the force at aphelion is 1/8100 of the force at perihelion due to the inverse-square law.
KLI897

Homework Statement

Halley’s Comet orbits the sun about every 75 years due to the gravitational force the sun provides. Compare the gravitational force between Halley’s Comet and the sun when the comet is at aphelion (its greatest distance from the sun) and d is about 4.5 x 10^12 m to the force at perihelion (or closest approach), where d is about 5.0 x 10^10 m.

Homework Equations

F=GmM/d^2
(Not applicable because masses aren't provided?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to begin considering the masses were not provided, but eventually I found that the distance from the sun at the furthest distance is 90x greater than when it is at its closest point. I then assumed that it wanted to me to use Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation that as the distance is doubled the force decreases by 1/4. But I'm not sure if where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
KLI897 said:

Homework Statement

Halley’s Comet orbits the sun about every 75 years due to the gravitational force the sun provides. Compare the gravitational force between Halley’s Comet and the sun when the comet is at aphelion (its greatest distance from the sun) and d is about 4.5 x 10^12 m to the force at perihelion (or closest approach), where d is about 5.0 x 10^10 m.

Homework Equations

F=GmM/d^2
(Not applicable because masses aren't provided?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to begin considering the masses were not provided, but eventually I found that the distance from the sun at the furthest distance is 90x greater than when it is at its closest point. I then assumed that it wanted to me to use Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation that as the distance is doubled the force decreases by 1/4. But I'm not sure if where to go from here.

The problem asks the ratio of the forces, F(aphelion)/F(perihelion). Yes, use the Law of Universal Gravitation.

ehild said:

The problem asks the ratio of the forces, F(aphelion)/F(perihelion). Yes, use the Law of Universal Gravitation.
Thank you! I've concluded that the force of the sun's pull at aphelion is only 1/8100 of whatever it is at perihelion by using the inverse-square law . It was much simpler than I originally thought, I must've been over thinking it.

1. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between two objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This is described by the inverse-square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. This means that if the distance between two objects is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.

2. Can the gravitational force between two objects at varying distances be compared using a mathematical equation?

Yes, the force of gravity can be calculated using the universal law of gravitation, which states that the force is equal to the product of the masses of the objects divided by the square of the distance between them and multiplied by the gravitational constant. This equation allows for the comparison of gravitational force at different distances.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the gravitational force between two objects at varying distances?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the gravitational force it exerts on other objects. This means that two objects with greater masses will have a stronger gravitational force between them compared to two objects with smaller masses at the same distance.

4. How does the gravitational force at varying distances affect the motion of objects?

The gravitational force between two objects is responsible for the motion of objects in orbit, such as planets around the sun or moons around a planet. The strength of the gravitational force at varying distances determines the speed and direction of the object's motion. Objects closer to each other will have a stronger force and will orbit faster compared to objects that are farther apart.

5. Can the gravitational force between two objects at varying distances be measured experimentally?

Yes, the gravitational force between two objects can be measured using a torsion balance or a simple pendulum experiment. These experiments measure the deflection or oscillation of the objects due to the gravitational force between them. The results can then be used to calculate the force and compare it to the expected value based on the distance between the objects.