Comparing the good and bad universities around the world.

In summary, the conversation discusses the quality of top schools in different countries, with a focus on the comparison between average and bad universities in the US and China. The question is raised about whether it is true that even the lower ranked universities in the US are still better than those in China. The conversation also touches on the marketability of a US education and the role of reputation in this. Ultimately, the main question is regarding the factors that make education in the US superior in certain fields, particularly STEM subjects.
SquidwardTentacles
It goes without question that the top schools of most countries are pretty good, but how do we compare the average and bad universities from different countries?

I often hear (especially on this forum) that bad and average universities in the US (and the west in general) are usually still better than comparable universities in China (and India).

So my question is: Is this true? And if so, what makes that education better?

I appreciate any insight anyone has, especially if you have first hand experience.

Also, this question is mostly regarding STEM subjects.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe an education at a university in the US is generally more marketable around the world. To sum it up in one word: reputation.

1. What factors should be considered when comparing universities?

When comparing universities, some important factors to consider include the quality of education, reputation, faculty, research opportunities, facilities, student life, and employment rates after graduation.

2. How do you determine the overall ranking of a university?

The overall ranking of a university is typically determined by considering various factors such as academic reputation, research output, student-faculty ratio, international diversity, and employer reputation. These factors are often combined to create a composite score for each university.

3. Are there any objective measures for comparing universities?

While there are various ranking systems available, it is important to remember that they may not always provide a comprehensive and objective view of a university. Factors such as location, culture, and individual needs and preferences should also be taken into account when evaluating universities.

4. How do universities in different countries compare?

Universities in different countries may have different strengths and areas of expertise. It is important to look at each university individually and consider factors such as their curriculum, faculty, and research output. Additionally, cultural and societal differences may also impact the overall experience at a university.

5. How can I find reliable information about universities?

Some reputable sources for information about universities include official university websites, government websites, and independent ranking systems such as QS World University Rankings and Times Higher Education World University Rankings. It is also helpful to read reviews and talk to current or former students for firsthand experiences.