Mike's Path to University: Struggling with National Exams at 18

In summary, Mike is 18 years old and is preparing for the national exams his country does to qualify for a university. He says that if he fails the exams, he will have to compete in the job market with just a school degree. He recommends that if he gets good results on the exams, he should prioritize entering a physics or an engineering university.
Mkbul
Hello everyone, my name is Mike, and i am 18 years old.

In a month from now, i am going to be giving the national exams my country does to qualify for a university. Unfortunately, there is no idea to know in which university i'll pass, if i pass at all. These exams are known to be difficult, and senior high schools do a poor job preparing students for them. Most secondary education students whose families can afford the significant fees (300+euros/month) attend these extra lessons, because of the low quality of state-sponsored education in Greece. It is generally considered impossible for all but the most gifted students to pass university entrance exams without this extra help.

Now I've been going to these extra schools, and I've been preparing for these exams the entire last year, and as a result my family has been struggling to support my efforts and pay the extra school. Furthermore, i had the bad luck to give these exams this particular year. The education system is changing next year, and i cannot retake the exams. Plus it would be a huge huge pressure to my family to pay the extra schools again. Which means this is my one and only shot of entering a university.

I love physics and engineering, but i will only have the opportunity to study one or none. The pressure is too much and i fear i will screw up just because of my enormous stress during the exams. The physics department here requires roughly 80/100 mean score on the exam, and most engineering schools require 85/100-95/100 mean score on the exams, which is extremely difficult to pull off.

I sincerely have no idea why i wrote so much on this subject, now that i re-read it. It may be a plea for help, i don't know. Either way, my questions are:
If i fail the exams, can one still compete in the job industry with just a school degree?
Can one learn physics or engineering by self-teaching and actually get good at it?
If i get good results on the exams, should i prioritize entering a physics or an engineering university? Remember that it is only one shot.

A big thanks to those who took the time to read and answer my questions. It was a load off my chest writing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What a nightmare to be honest.

I have to say I made the mistake of working too hard. I was absolutely exhausted in the exam room and this cost me a lot of marks. Make room for exercise. Never do useless revision. This is the other mistake I made. Revising when I was tired and bored. Half an hour of good revision when you make things fun and interesting is so much more memorable - and can be better than 3 hours of normal revision. I memorised an entire university module - some 24 hours of lecture notes, in 3 hours by doing funny voices and so forth. Also do a lot of mock exams by yourself - this will give you a good indication of how things are going.

Prepare to fail and prepare to succeed.

Plan for failure. If you fail would recommend that you go and work in Norway or Sweden where you can save quickly; when you get back pay for your own tuition and try again. A year out will do you no harm at all, life is long!

Puma said:
What a nightmare to be honest.

I have to say I made the mistake of working too hard. I was absolutely exhausted in the exam room and this cost me a lot of marks. Make room for exercise. Never do useless revision. This is the other mistake I made. Revising when I was tired and bored. Half an hour of good revision when you make things fun and interesting is so much more memorable - and can be better than 3 hours of normal revision. I memorised an entire university module - some 24 hours of lecture notes, in 3 hours by doing funny voices and so forth. Also do a lot of mock exams by yourself - this will give you a good indication of how things are going.

Prepare to fail and prepare to succeed.

Plan for failure. If you fail would recommend that you go and work in Norway or Sweden where you can save quickly; when you get back pay for your own tuition and try again. A year out will do you no harm at all, life is long!

Moving is not an option, it takes way too much money. Other than that, thanks for the tips on the revision, but it is quite a challenge to make things fun an interesting when half the lessons i am giving have nothing to do with physics or what i want to become.

And again, thanks for the reply, makes me feel a bit better knowing people try to help me. :)

1. What are National Exams?

National exams are standardized tests that are administered by the government to measure a student's academic performance and knowledge in a particular subject or subjects. They are usually taken at the end of a student's secondary education, typically around the age of 18.

2. Why is Mike struggling with National Exams at 18?

There could be a variety of reasons for Mike's struggles with national exams. It could be due to a lack of preparation, difficulty understanding the material, test anxiety, or personal issues that are affecting his performance. Each individual's situation is unique, and it's important to address the specific challenges that Mike is facing.

3. Can Mike still go to university if he struggles with National Exams at 18?

Yes, it is still possible for Mike to go to university even if he struggles with National Exams at 18. There are alternative routes to higher education, such as community college or vocational training programs, that do not require national exam scores. Additionally, some universities may offer conditional admission or consider other factors in the admissions process.

4. How can Mike improve his performance on National Exams?

To improve his performance on national exams, Mike can try various study techniques such as creating study schedules, practicing past exam questions, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and staying organized. It's also important for him to take care of his mental and physical health during the exam preparation period.

5. Are National Exams an accurate measure of a student's abilities?

National exams are one way to measure a student's abilities, but they are not the only factor. These exams do not take into account a student's personal circumstances, extracurricular activities, or other skills and talents. It's important to view national exams as one part of a larger picture and not the sole determinant of a student's potential or worth.