Complex analysis, finding a bijection

In summary, the homework statement is that a holomorphic bijection phi:omega-->delta exists, where delta is the open unit disk. This mapping sends 3 points onto the unit disk, inf,0,1. The unique bilinear mapping that sends 3 points onto; inf,0,1. However, the problem is that the zeroes of sin(z) are points on the real line, so it does not relate to my original omega. After a little discussion and searching we found a simplified form of the bilinear mapping when one of the points is -inf or +inf. However, this is still for 3 discrete points. And even if we say we map the interior as a point between our
QuantumLuck

Homework Statement

Let Omega = C\((-inf,-1]U[1,inf)), find a holomorphic bijection phi:eek:mega-->delta, where delta is the open unit disk

Homework Equations

Reimann Mapping Theorem
Special Mapping formulas: can map wedges onto wedges, with deletion of real line from zero to infinity in order to deal with log.
The unique bilinear mapping that sends 3 points onto; inf,0,1.

The Attempt at a Solution

so what this looks like, is all of C besides for the parts on the real line that goes from -inf to 1 and 1 to inf. also, if we consider C-hat and the point at infinity we can see that this is a simply connected domain and so by Reimann Mapping Theorem there exists a bijection between it and every other simply connected domain(of which delta is one). so, in its present form this domain is unworkable. so i want to somehow map it onto the real line from 0 to inf from which i can go from there. like i said, i know the unique bilinear mapping but that is for 3 discrete points, which does not work in this case since i have the whole line. also, i need it to be 1 to 1, since it must be a bijection and i already have a point at 1 and infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Omega makes me think of the function sin(z). Can you use it (suitably restricted) or its inverse (suitably restricted), composed with a few other mappings, to create your desired mapping?

while interesting, the problem that i see with this is that the zeroes of sin(z) are points on the real line so it does not relate to my original omega. after a little discussion and searching we found a simplified form of the bilinear mapping when one of the points is -inf or +inf. however, this is still for 3 discrete points. and even if we say we map the interior as a point between our two ends i am a bit concerned that i might map the line on the left side of the plane onto the right half of the plane and that the point of infinity will then have two same points. one from the original omega and one from the mapping.

while interesting, the problem that i see with this is that the zeroes of sin(z) are points on the real line so it does not relate to my original omega. after a little discussion and searching we found a simplified form of the bilinear mapping when one of the points is -inf or +inf. however, this is still for 3 discrete points. and even if we say we map the interior as a point between our two ends i am a bit concerned that i might map the line on the left side of the plane onto the right half of the plane and that the point of infinity will then have two same points. one from the original omega and one from the mapping.

What is the image of the strip -pi/2 < x < pi/2 under the mapping f(z)=sin z?

when you say strip you mean just that piece of the real line right? because we are only varying x. so it look like a standard sine function, oscillating between -1 and 1...which is the part of our real line that still exists in my omega. but i fail to see what the connection is between this fact and the composition of bijections that lead to the unit disk.

when you say strip you mean just that piece of the real line right?

No, I mean the infinite strip {x+iy : -pi/2 < x < pi/2}, between the two vertical lines x=-pi/2 and x=pi/2. It's easiest perhaps if you can just look up sin(z) in a table of conformal mappings.

Remember, you may find bijections that go from the unit disc to Omega, instead of the other way around. One step at a time, transform something to Omega, or Omega to something. Then transform that something to another thing, or vice versa.

Related to Complex analysis, finding a bijection

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their properties. It involves the study of functions and their behavior in the complex plane.

2. What is a bijection in complex analysis?

A bijection is a type of function that is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that every element in the domain of the function has a unique corresponding element in the range, and every element in the range has a preimage in the domain.

3. Why is finding a bijection important in complex analysis?

Finding a bijection is important in complex analysis because it allows us to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two sets of complex numbers. This can be useful in proving certain properties or theorems, as well as simplifying complex problems.

4. How do you find a bijection in complex analysis?

There are various methods for finding a bijection in complex analysis. One common approach is to use the Riemann mapping theorem, which states that any simply connected open subset of the complex plane can be mapped conformally onto the unit disk. Other techniques include using transformations such as linear, fractional, or Möbius transformations.

5. What are some applications of bijections in complex analysis?

Bijections have various applications in complex analysis, including in the study of complex functions, conformal mappings, and harmonic functions. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and geometry, to establish correspondences between different mathematical structures.