Complex numbers - residue theorem

In summary, the conversation is about solving problem 4.15 from an attached file. The person mentions using the residue theorem and the winding number of z0, but is unsure how it relates to b-a. Another person suggests using the form of f(z) with a simple pole at z0, and integrating over the arc between a and b. They also mention that if g(z) is analytic at z0, it can be bounded and the radius of the arc can be reduced to solve the problem.
hermanni
Hi all,
I'm trying to solve 4.15 from the attached file, can anyone help? I tried to use residue thm , i.e the integral of f over the curve gamma-r equals winding number of z0 over gamma-r and residue of z0 of f. I can't see how b-a relates to the winding number of z0. Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• Screenshot-Complex made simple - Google Books - Mozilla Firefox.png
    Screenshot-Complex made simple - Google Books - Mozilla Firefox.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If f(z) has a simple pole at z0 then it has the form g(z)/(z-z0) where limit z->z0 g(z)=Res(f,z0). Use that form.

hermanni said:
Hi all,
I'm trying to solve 4.15 from the attached file, can anyone help? I tried to use residue thm , i.e the integral of f over the curve gamma-r equals winding number of z0 over gamma-r and residue of z0 of f. I can't see how b-a relates to the winding number of z0. Can anyone help please?

I believe that's not worded properly. I think it should say:

[tex]\gamma_r:[a,b]\to z_0 +re^{it},\quad a\leq t \leq b[/tex]

and keep in mind if f(z) has a simple pole at z_0, it can be written as:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{k}{(z-z_0)}+g(z)[/tex]

where g(z) is analytic at z_0 so substitute that expression into the integral, then integrate it directly over the arc between a and b and let the radius r go to zero.

Also, if g(z) is analytic at z_0 then it's bounded say |g(z)|<M so you could just integrate

[tex]\frac{k}{z-z_0}+M[/tex]

for some finite constant M and then let the radius of the arc go to zero. I mean I'm just about giving it to you right?

Last edited:
Thanx a lot guys , I solved the problem :))

Related to Complex numbers - residue theorem

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (equal to the square root of -1).

2. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows for the evaluation of complex integrals. It states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of that function at its isolated singularities within the contour.

3. How is the residue of a function calculated?

The residue of a function at a given point is equal to the coefficient of the (z-z0)-1 term in the Laurent series expansion of the function at that point. It can also be calculated using the formula Res(f,z0) = limz→z0 (z-z0)f(z).

4. What is the significance of the residue theorem?

The residue theorem has many applications in complex analysis, including the evaluation of complex integrals, the calculation of infinite series, and the solution of differential equations. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and physics.

5. Can the residue theorem be used for any function?

No, the residue theorem can only be used for functions that are meromorphic (have isolated singularities) on the contour being integrated. Functions with essential singularities or branch points cannot be evaluated using the residue theorem.