Compressors in coolant systems

In summary, the delay time is a safety measure to let the coolant pressure equalize. This prevents damage to the compressor.
iScience
I'm told the delay time (the time i turn down the thermostat and the time the AC kicks in) is a safety measure to let the coolant pressure equalize. I don't really understand why.

Engineering news on Phys.org
more about the delay I'm talking about: https://nest.com/support/article/Why-is-cooling-or-heating-sometimes-delayed

all I'm told so far is " the delay is for the coolant to equalize" which somehow prevents damage to the compressor.

what i don't get is, the compressor creates a pressure differential. why does it matter whether or not there is an initial state of pressure difference?

I think this must be about shock loading, if the pressure across the compressor is zero as the compressor starts to turn it will take several revolutions till the full pressure differential, and load build up. If the full DP is there already the mechanical load will go from zero to full in a fraction of a second. Think about driving, you don't wind up the revs to max and then drop the clutch in you increase them slightly and ease it in.

The coldest portions of the a/c system are the evaporator and the suction line. It is possible for the refrigerant to condense in these areas at shut-down, especially near the TXV or orifice tube (that area is partially liquid already). A quick restart could cause liquid to be pulled into the compressor...which is a recipe for compressor damage. A pause allows the refrigerant to vaporize, the evaporator to warm up, and the high side pressure to drop, as Jobrag stated.

The compressor should not be asked to start from standstill when there is pressure across it, ie high and low sides not almost equalized.
It should start with low differential across itself so that it has momentum to carry the piston past its compression stroke by the time pressure builds up.
(actually it's probably a rotary compressor, rolling ring style)

see fig 5c here, page 13 of pdf
http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1527&context=icec

you've felt this effect if you have ever pull started a big outboard motor or a chainsaw.

What is a compressor in a coolant system?

A compressor in a coolant system is a mechanical device that is responsible for compressing and circulating the refrigerant in the system. It helps to maintain the proper pressure and temperature levels for efficient cooling.

How does a compressor work in a coolant system?

A compressor works by drawing in low-pressure refrigerant gas from the evaporator and compressing it into a high-pressure, high-temperature gas. This gas then flows through the condenser, where it is cooled and condensed into a liquid. The pressurized liquid is then sent to the evaporator to absorb heat and provide cooling.

What are the common types of compressors used in coolant systems?

The most common types of compressors used in coolant systems are piston, rotary vane, scroll, and screw compressors. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

What are the signs of a faulty compressor in a coolant system?

Common signs of a faulty compressor in a coolant system include reduced cooling performance, strange noises coming from the system, and leaks of refrigerant or oil. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have your coolant system checked by a professional.

How can I maintain my compressor in a coolant system?

To maintain your compressor in a coolant system, it is important to regularly clean or replace the air filter, check and top off the refrigerant levels, and have the system inspected by a professional at least once a year. It is also important to address any issues or unusual noises from the system as soon as possible to prevent further damage.