Computational Physics vs Computational Engineering

In summary, if you want to become a physicist, studying Computational Physics or Computational Engineering would be the most beneficial options. However, if you are also interested in optics and lasers, Photonics Engineering could also be a good choice. Ultimately, your Bachelor in Computer Engineering degree will also be useful in your career as it provides you with important programming skills.
nebbione
Hi everyone, next year i will finish my Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering, since physics is my passion , i was a little bit in doubt to which course to choose in order to become a physicist.

My doubt is about these courses:
- Photonics Engineering (from electronics eng. department) (can one after be considere a physicist??)
- Computational Physics (university of Udine with SISSA)
- Computational Engineering ( at Munchen University )

What's the difference between tthe last two ?

Which of these courses will close me more to physics ?

Has been the bachelor in computer engineering useful to the career that i want to take ?

What do you think about computational physics ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between Computational Physics and Computational Engineering is that the former focuses on the application of numerical methods to solve physical problems in fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and atomic and molecular physics. On the other hand, computational engineering is focused on the development of computer models or simulations to analyze complex systems, such as energy systems, aerospace systems, or civil engineering systems.If you are interested in specializing in physics, then Computational Physics is probably the best option for you. This course will help you develop a deep understanding of physical phenomena and how to apply numerical algorithms to solve complex problems. Additionally, the Bachelor in Computer Engineering is also useful in this regard since it provides you with the necessary programming skills to be successful in the field.As for Computational Engineering, this could also be a good option if you are interested in more applied applications than pure research. This course will provide you with the necessary tools to develop computer models for various complex systems and will also be beneficial in terms of your career prospects. Finally, Photonics Engineering could also be an interesting option if you are interested in optics and lasers. This degree will provide you with the necessary knowledge to specialize in this field, though it may not be as closely related to physics as the other courses mentioned here. Overall, it is important to consider all the options available to you and choose the one that best suits your interests and goals.

Related to Computational Physics vs Computational Engineering

1. What is the difference between Computational Physics and Computational Engineering?

Computational Physics is a branch of physics that uses computer simulations and mathematical models to study and understand physical phenomena, while Computational Engineering is a branch of engineering that uses computer simulations and modeling to design and analyze engineering systems.

2. Can a person with a background in physics pursue a career in computational engineering?

Yes, a person with a background in physics can pursue a career in computational engineering. Computational engineering requires a strong knowledge of mathematics and problem-solving skills, which are also essential in physics. Additionally, many concepts and techniques used in computational physics are applicable in computational engineering.

3. Is one field more focused on theory and the other on practical applications?

Both Computational Physics and Computational Engineering involve a combination of theory and practical applications. While computational physics is more focused on understanding physical phenomena, computational engineering is more focused on designing and optimizing engineering systems. However, both fields use simulations and modeling to bridge the gap between theory and practical applications.

4. Are there any specific tools or software used in computational physics or computational engineering?

Yes, there are various tools and software used in both fields, such as MATLAB, Python, and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software. These tools and software help in solving complex equations and analyzing data, making the process more efficient and accurate.

5. What are some real-world applications of computational physics and computational engineering?

Some real-world applications of computational physics include weather forecasting, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics simulations. On the other hand, computational engineering is used in fields such as aerospace engineering, civil engineering, and biomechanics to design and analyze structures, systems, and materials.