Compute the voltage gain of this bipolar junction transistor circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a given schematic and the desired result of the calculation. The speaker suggests an approach using a formula and equations to solve for the result, but encounters difficulty when the denominator switches from a voltage to a current. They are seeking guidance and clarification on how to proceed with the problem.
Peter Alexander
Homework Statement
Hi!

This is one of the tasks that appeared in our exam preparation script. There is a sample solution path given, but I am unable to understand how to get there.

Idea is that given a bipolar junction transistor (BJT), you need to compute voltage gain ##A_u## from the following parameter values: ##g_{11} = 2mS, g_{12} \approx 0S, g_{21} = 25mS, g_{22} = 0.1mS## and the load has resistence ##R_b = 2500\Omega##.
Relevant Equations
To solve this task, you only need to remember that voltage gain is computed as $$A_u = \frac{u_2}{u_1}$$ where ##u_2## is the output and ##u_1## is the input voltage.

This is the given schematic. The result should be $$A_u = \frac{R_b g_{21}}{1 + R_b g_{22}} = -50$$ and the way I wanted to tackle this problem is by stating $$A_u = \frac{-R_b i_2}{u_1} = \frac{-R_b (g_{21} u_1 + g_{22} u_2)}{u_1} = \frac{-R_b (g_{21} u_1 + g_{22} u_2)}{g_{11} u_1 + g_{12} u_2} = \frac{-R_b g_{21} + g_{22} u_2}{g_{11}}$$ but that leaves me with ##u_2##. I am kind of stuck here.

I do not expect anyone to solve this task for me, I am just looking for guidance on how to continue, what have I missed... Any sort of help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
At first, the denominator is a voltage (u1)...and in the third expression it is suddenly a current (g*u).
This is impossible.

Inside your first set of brackets, that + should be –.
Keep the denominator as u1 all through, until it finally cancels with the same in the numerator.

1. What is a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) circuit?

A BJT circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a bipolar junction transistor as its main component. A BJT is a three-terminal device that can be used as an amplifier or a switch in electronic circuits.

2. How is the voltage gain of a BJT circuit calculated?

The voltage gain of a BJT circuit is calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This can be represented by the formula: Av = Vout/Vin.

3. What factors affect the voltage gain of a BJT circuit?

The voltage gain of a BJT circuit can be affected by several factors, including the type of BJT used, the biasing of the circuit, and the load resistance. Other factors such as temperature and manufacturing variations can also have an impact on the voltage gain.

4. How can the voltage gain of a BJT circuit be improved?

The voltage gain of a BJT circuit can be improved by using a higher gain BJT, adjusting the biasing of the circuit, or using a transformer or feedback circuit to amplify the signal. Additionally, minimizing parasitic capacitance and resistance in the circuit can also help improve the voltage gain.

5. What is the typical range of voltage gain for a BJT circuit?

The voltage gain of a BJT circuit can vary depending on the specific circuit and its components. However, the typical range of voltage gain for a BJT circuit is between 20 and 200, with some specialized circuits having gains of up to 1000.