Voltage gain of a bipolar transistor circuit

eyeweyew
TL;DR Summary
If base-to-collector voltage gain is negative, base-to-emitter voltage gain is positive, should emitter-to-collector voltage gain negative as a result of multiplying base-to-collector gain by the inverse of base-to-emitter gain? How come emitter-to-collector gain is positive?
1704780996616.png

For a simple bipolar transistor above, base-to-collector voltage gain ≈ -gm*Rc/(1+gm*Re) < 0, base-to-emitter voltage gain ≈ 1 > 0, should emitter-to-collector voltage gain ≈ -gm*Rc/(1+gm*Re) * 1 < 0. How come it is equal to gm*Rc > 0?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I know why. Compute this way would only give indirect gain from emitter to collector.

Why are we multiplying the two gain figures? The output voltages are in series, so if being referenced to ground they are subtracted to obtain the signal voltage between the collector and emitter.

Likes berkeman
I guess a better way to rephrase my question is why base-to-collector voltage gain(common emitter) vc/vb does not equal to emitter-to-collector voltage gain(common base) vc/ve multiplied by base-to-emitter voltage gain(emitter follower) ve/vb?

I believe it is related to inspection analysis limitations for circuit with feedback.

Last edited:
The voltage gain of transistor circuits is determined by more than just the transistor. Resistors in the circuit have alot to do with the voltage gain.

Likes berkeman
eyeweyew said:
I guess a better way to rephrase my question is why base-to-collector voltage gain vc/vb does not equal to emitter-to-collector voltage gain vc/ve multiplied by base-to-emitter voltage gain ve/vb?
Lets try this.

Recall that a transistor is a current amplifier, the Collector current is proportional to the base current.

Also realize that the Collector current has to flow thru the Emitter.

The result is that with similiar currents, the voltage gains at the Collector and at the Emitter are determined by the resistor values - similiar resistor values yields similiar voltage gains.

There is, however, a slight Fudge Factor.

The "Fudge Factor" needed comes when you realize that the Base current also flows thru the Emitter.

A detailed explanation can be found at:
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/phase-splitter.html

(above link, and many more, found with:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phase+splitter+circuit)

Cheers,
Tom

eyeweyew said:
For a simple bipolar transistor above, base-to-collector voltage gain ≈ -gm*Rc/(1+gm*Re) < 0,
This gain formula for a common-emitter gain stage with negative Re-feedback is correct - however, only in case the signal source is connected DIRECTLY to the base node (via a coupling capacitor).
When there is a resistor Rb (as in your drawing) this resistor forms a voltage divider Rb-r_in and the gain will be correspondingly lower (r_in=dynamic signal input resistance at the base node).

Just for your understanding; "Negative gain" means nothing else than a phase inversion (180deg phase shift) between the signal voltage at the base node and the output voltage at the collector.

Tom.G said:
Recall that a transistor is a current amplifier
Yes. I find these circuits much simpler to understand and solve if, at the device level, you think in terms of currents, not voltages. Of course voltages make currents and vice-versa.

Most of your questions can be clarified if you redraw your circuit using the basic T model of a BJT shown here.

Some like to move the small signal emitter resistor ##r_e## to the base, where its value becomes ##(\beta + 1) r_e##. Although you'll often see ##\beta r_e##, since ##\beta + 1 \approx \beta## for high gain devices.

Last edited:
To quickly identify the BJT polarity in the circuit, draw the symbolic arrow head on the emitter. Also, identify the polarity of Vs.

Likes DaveE
DaveE said:
Most of your questions can be clarified if you redraw your circuit using the basic T model of a BJT shown here.

Some like to move the small signal emitter resistor ##r_e## to the base, where its value becomes ##(\beta + 1) r_e##. Although you'll often see ##\beta r_e##, since ##\beta + 1 \approx \beta## for high gain devices.
I like to mention that there are two other small-signal equivalent circuit diagrams for a bipolar transistor, which - according to my opinion - are much better and clearer than the mentioned T-model. These two models are much closer to the real transistor function (although the T-model works - if applied properly!).
Why?
* Because the T-model containes a quantity re which can be the cause for some misinterpretations and misunderstandings.
* At first, one must know that re is a dynamic quantity (not constant) which depends on the DC quiescent current .
* From the physical point of view it is not a resistance (although it has the unit V/A) and it does not belong to the emitter. Instead, it is an abbreviation (symbol) for the invers transconductance gm=1/re.
* Misinterpretations can occur when someone thinks that such a quantity (located in the emitter path) could have any influence on the DC operating point and/or could cause negative feedback.
* More than that - looking into the base node of the model (Fig. 3 in the linked doc) one could have the impression (visual inspection) that the input resistance would be identical to re (which is wrong).

Last edited:
LvW said:
I like to mention that there are two other small-signal equivalent circuit diagrams for a bipolar transistor, which - according to my opinion - are much better and clearer than the mentioned T-model. These two models are much closer to the real transistor function (although the T-model works - if applied properly!).
Why?
* Because the T-model containes a quantity re which can be the cause for some misinterpretations and misunderstandings.
* At first, one must know that re is a dynamic quantity (not constant) which depends on the DC quiescent current .
* From the physical point of view it is not a resistance (although it has the unit V/A) and it does not belong to the emitter. Instead, it is an abbreviation (symbol) for the invers transconductance gm=1/re.
* Misinterpretations can occur when someone thinks that such a quantity (located in the emitter path) could have any influence on the DC operating point and/or could cause negative feedback.
* More than that - looking into the base node of the model (Fig. 3 in the linked doc) one could have the impression (visual inspection) that the input resistance would be identical to re (which is wrong).
Yes, that's how it is with simple models. They're wrong. That's what makes them simple.

Re' is what we called it in school. I assume this is what is referred to as re in the above posts. Normally it was set at 25 ohms for the math we did concerning the circuits we worked with. As said, it varies with emitter current. Re' is one of the things that determine input impedance at the base. Re' will also have a hand in determining signal gain especially when the emitter resistor is bypassed with a capacitor. Of course this is assuming common emitter configuration.
-
The numbers don't come out perfect, but they are close

Likes DaveE and berkeman
Averagesupernova said:
Re' is what we called it in school. I assume this is what is referred to as re in the above posts. Normally it was set at 25 ohms for the math we did concerning the circuits we worked with. As said, it varies with emitter current. Re' is one of the things that determine input impedance at the base. Re' will also have a hand in determining signal gain especially when the emitter resistor is bypassed with a capacitor. Of course this is assuming common emitter configuration.
-
The numbers don't come out perfect, but they are close
With all respect - your post demonstrates how misinterpretations (and mistakes) can occur using the T-model. In your post, the small-signal quantity 1/gm (inverse transconductance) is written with capital letters as Re´. This looks like a classical ohmic resistor.
The problem is that, in particular, beginners are using such small-signal equivalent diagrams - and a misinterpretation of this model would be fatal.
Experienced people do not need such eqivalent diagrams - they know how a transistor works and do not need any model.

My bad. It's actually r'e. So you can blame me for confusing the 'inexperienced'. So, @LvW, are you 'experienced' or 'inexperienced' in that you didn't catch my mistake with Re' vs r'e? The correct one (r'e) is right out of a text book.
-
The 'experienced' folks don't need a lot of things. That doesn't change the fact that a particular property of a transistor, or anything for that matter, exists and needs to be defined. BTW, this is not the first time I've seen something besides r'e defining that particular property of a transistor.

LvW said:
Experienced people do not need such eqivalent diagrams - they know how a transistor works and do not need any model.
I have had some experience in this field and, yes, I use the simplest T (or Hybrid-π) model nearly always for BJTs. I probably won't draw it that way on paper, but that is exactly what I am thinking about. Step 1 is figure out roughly what the circuit does (amplifier or oscillator, saturated or linear, high or low power, closed or open loop, etc.) More complex stuff is added later only as needed.

We all use models, real components are complicated things. I also only use about 5 digits in π.

Likes hutchphd

What is voltage gain in a bipolar transistor circuit?

Voltage gain in a bipolar transistor circuit refers to the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. It indicates how much the transistor amplifies the input signal at its output. The gain is a crucial parameter for designing amplifiers and other electronic circuits where signal amplification is required.

How do you calculate the voltage gain of a bipolar transistor circuit?

The voltage gain (Av) of a bipolar transistor amplifier can be calculated using the formula Av = -gm * Rc, where gm is the transconductance of the transistor and Rc is the load resistance connected in the collector circuit. The negative sign indicates a phase inversion between the input and output. Transconductance (gm) can be approximated by Ic/Vt, where Ic is the collector current and Vt is the thermal voltage (approximately 26mV at room temperature).

What factors affect the voltage gain of a bipolar transistor circuit?

The voltage gain of a bipolar transistor circuit can be affected by several factors including the load resistance (Rc), the transistor's transconductance (gm), and the emitter resistance (Re) if used in the circuit. Additionally, the inherent characteristics of the transistor such as its current gain (beta) and leakage currents also play a role. External factors like temperature and power supply variations can also impact the gain.

Why does the voltage gain sometimes differ from theoretical calculations?

The actual voltage gain of a bipolar transistor circuit can differ from theoretical calculations due to real-world non-idealities such as transistor parameter variations (like beta or Early voltage), non-linearities at high signal levels, and loading effects. Parasitic capacitances and resistances within the transistor and circuit layout can also lead to discrepancies between calculated and actual gain.

How can the voltage gain of a bipolar transistor circuit be increased?

The voltage gain of a bipolar transistor circuit can be increased by optimizing several design parameters. Increasing the load resistance (Rc) or using a transistor with a higher transconductance (gm) are direct methods. Additionally, minimizing the emitter resistance (Re) or using negative feedback techniques can also effectively increase the gain. Careful selection and matching of components to reduce losses and avoid signal degradation are also crucial.