Compute the volume of the solid

In summary, the volume of the solid bounded by the xz plane, the yz plane, the xy plane, the planes x = 1 and y = 1, and the surface z = x2 + y2 is \frac{8}{15}. The integral used to calculate this volume is \int_{x = 0}^1 \int_{y = 0}^1 x^2 + y^4~dy~dx.
number0

Homework Statement

Computer the volume of the solid bounded by the xz plane, the yz plane, the xy plane, the planes x = 1 and y = 1, and the surface z = x2 + y2

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the solid is bounded by the xz plane, the yz plane, the xy plane, it is assumed that the values of x, y, and z all equal 0. And since x = 1 and y = 1, the limits of integration is:

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

Thus, the double integral is:

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] x2 + y4 dA

and the limits of integration is 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.

After calculating the integral, I got the answer [tex]\frac{8}{15}[/tex]. Can anyone verify my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
number0 said:

Homework Statement

Computer the volume of the solid bounded by the xz plane, the yz plane, the xy plane, the planes x = 1 and y = 1, and the surface z = x2 + y2

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the solid is bounded by the xz plane, the yz plane, the xy plane, it is assumed that the values of x, y, and z all equal 0. And since x = 1 and y = 1, the limits of integration is:

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1

Thus, the double integral is:

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] x2 + y4 dA

and the limits of integration is 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.

After calculating the integral, I got the answer [tex]\frac{8}{15}[/tex]. Can anyone verify my work?
That's what I get, too.

For future reference, here is the integral I evaluated, using LaTeX.
[tex]\int_{x = 0}^1 \int_{y = 0}^1 x^2 + y^4~dy~dx[/tex]

Click the integral to see my LaTeX code.

Related to Compute the volume of the solid

1. How do you compute the volume of a solid using basic formulas?

To compute the volume of a solid, you can use the basic formula V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the solid. Simply plug in the values for each measurement and solve for the volume.

2. What if the solid is not a perfect shape, like a sphere or a cube?

If the solid is not a perfect shape, you can still compute its volume by dividing it into smaller, known shapes such as cubes or cones. Then, you can use the appropriate formula for each shape and add the volumes together to get the total volume of the solid.

3. Can you use calculus to compute the volume of a complex solid?

Yes, you can use calculus to compute the volume of a complex solid. Instead of using basic formulas, you would use integration to find the volume of the solid. This method is especially useful for solids with curved surfaces or irregular shapes.

4. Is it necessary to know the exact measurements of a solid to compute its volume?

In most cases, yes, you would need to know the exact measurements of a solid to compute its volume. However, if the solid has a uniform pattern, such as a cylinder or pyramid, you can use the formula for its volume and estimate the measurements based on the pattern.

5. How can knowing the volume of a solid be useful in real-life applications?

Knowing the volume of a solid can be useful in a variety of real-life applications. For example, in architecture or construction, knowing the volume of a building or structure can help determine the amount of materials needed. In chemistry, knowing the volume of a solution can help with accurate measurements for experiments. Additionally, in manufacturing, knowing the volume of a product can help with packaging and shipping.