Computer Engineering vs Computer Science ?

In summary, the conversation is about a student from India who is trying to decide between studying Computer Engineering or Computer Science as a transfer student in the USA/Canada. They have a GPA of 3.667 and enjoy math, science, and computers. They are also interested in video games and digital electronics. The decision ultimately comes down to personal interests and the courses' contents should be researched. Certifications and joining a co-op program may improve job/internship opportunities. The student is considering a major in Computer Engineering with a minor in Computer Science.
Aspire
Computer Engineering vs Computer Science ??

Hello !

I am a student from India. I have finished high school and now I can't decide what to study Computer Engineering or Computer Science. I'll be applying as a transfer student to some of the universities in USA/Canada next year. Mainly Clemson, McMaster and a few others.

I got a GPA of 3.667 in my first semester which consisted of
Mechanics, Calculus I, C++, Engineering Fundamentals, General Chemistry and English.

I am a person who enjoys math and science and computers. I have relatively high marks in the area of Math and Computer Science, and the Computer Technology courses.
I enjoy Physics as well, but i hate the part about Electricity & Magnetism.
Also, I'm kind of a procrastinator.
In my extra curriculars, I enjoy playing video games and surfing the internet.

I like computer programming and I'm fascinated by Digital Electronics.

Computer Engineering Curriculum

Computer Science Curriculum

With this in mind, could you please tell me which degree suits me?

Physics news on Phys.org

I am currently majoring in Computer Engineering. Ultimately it comes down to what you really want to do. Since you like video games and surfing the interwebs, I would say go for Computer Science. If you want to do something with video games, focus on video game design. Computer Engineering is more hardware than software.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yeah but I'm also interested in the hardware part...
moreover, I've heard that research opportunities are greater in CE... is that true??

also, could you tell me some extra certifications/courses I can do which will improve my chances of getting a job/internship at the end of the course?

In case i go for a CE major, will certifications in JAVA, .NET or Unix matter?

I also plan on joining the co-op program.. will it help?

interesting, I had this problem when I was trying to figure out what to to pick. In the end I finally found a CS course which has enough math and hardware. When I was researching where or what to take I realized no univeristy presents CS or CE in the same way. Listen, you asked us to decide which course is best for you. This is a terrible idea :P. I would first research what both these subjects actually contain. Perhaps read a few books or watch online lecturers. After that, study the contents of university curriculums.

Aspire said:
Thanks for the reply. :)

Yeah but I'm also interested in the hardware part...
moreover, I've heard that research opportunities are greater in CE... is that true??

also, could you tell me some extra certifications/courses I can do which will improve my chances of getting a job/internship at the end of the course?

In case i go for a CE major, will certifications in JAVA, .NET or Unix matter?

I also plan on joining the co-op program.. will it help?
You will deal with some hardware as a CS major, just not as much as a CE would. I would imagine that yes the research opportunities are far greater in CE (though don't quote me on it). Well each job/internship requires different skills and such. No doubt a minor in CS would help a lot when it comes to jobs/internships. Certifications will matter. As a CE major, you will be dealing with both Hardware and software. My recommendation is to go for a CE major and go for a minor CS. I am not sure what you mean by co-op program.

Related to Computer Engineering vs Computer Science ?

What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering and computer science are two fields that are closely related but have distinct differences. Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of computer hardware and systems, while computer science focuses on the theory and algorithms behind computing and software development.

What kind of courses do computer engineering and computer science students take?

Computer engineering students typically take courses in electrical engineering, computer hardware, and computer architecture, as well as software development and programming. Computer science students take courses in mathematics, programming languages, algorithms, and data structures.

What career opportunities are available for computer engineering and computer science graduates?

Both computer engineering and computer science graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, software development, telecommunications, and more. Computer engineering graduates may work as hardware engineers, computer systems analysts, or network architects, while computer science graduates may work as software developers, data scientists, or information security analysts.

Is computer engineering or computer science a better choice for someone interested in software development?

Both computer engineering and computer science can lead to careers in software development. However, computer engineering may be a better choice for someone interested in developing software that runs on hardware, while computer science may be a better choice for someone interested in developing software applications and algorithms.

Are there any similarities between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering and computer science share some similarities, such as a strong foundation in mathematics and the use of programming languages. Both fields also require problem-solving skills and attention to detail. Additionally, graduates from both fields may work in similar industries and collaborate on projects.