Computers for understanding physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using computers to understand natural phenomena and whether humans are the only ones capable of doing so. The use of Excel spreadsheets and other tools to aid in understanding is mentioned, but it is also noted that studying physics is necessary to effectively use computers for this purpose. The idea of computers developing theories on their own is mentioned but has not yet been seen.
rahaverhma
Is it possible that people would be able to know about each natural phenomenon with the help of computers. I don't think so because how one will know about the quantum mechanics or high energy physics! So, I mean that only humans can only do this, right? Or, is going to be possible in the near/far future or ever?
And one more question : please send me the link or tell me that how people are getting near this aim with the computers, I mean, how they are doing it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I use Excel spreadsheets to help understand the natural phenomena discussed in my physics book. I used named ranges to define variables and use charts to see my results. I adjust the parameters of my solutions and see how this affects the answers. I integrate curves numerically. Recently, I used Excel to plot the electric field lines around a pair of unequal charges. So, yes, computers can help understand natural phenomena. But, in my opinion, it is necessary to study physics in order to know how to use computers.

Likes russ_watters and symbolipoint
Gene Naden said:
But, in my opinion, it is necessary to study physics in order to know how to use computers.
Counterexample: I've seen three-year-olds use computers quite nimbly. It should go without saying that they didn't study physics beforehand.

In addition, there are millions of people who use computers every day, who have never studied physics.

I think what @Gene Naden meant was that one needs to know a bit of physics to be able to use computers to deepen this knowledge, so the better wording would be "it is necessary to study physics in order to know how to use computers to study physics further".

But than I can be completely off.

rahaverhma said:
Is it possible that people would be able to know about each natural phenomenon with the help of computers.
That 'each' baffles me.
Otherwise KSP would be a good example I think.

What @Borek said was right on. I meant that one needs to study physics in order to use computers to understand natural phenomena.

rahaverhma said:
Is it possible that people would be able to know about each natural phenomenon with the help of computers. I don't think so because how one will know about the quantum mechanics or high energy physics! So, I mean that only humans can only do this, right? Or, is going to be possible in the near/far future or ever?

I do not understand the premise of your question. What exactly does it mean with "... people would be able to know about each natural phenomenon with the help of computers ... "?

Are you saying that people can understand a physical phenomena simply by using a computer, just like reading a book? Or are you asking if it is possible that a computer comes up with its own explanation of a phenomenon, and then explain it to a human being?

Without any kind of clarification of what the actual issue is, this is a vague and undefined topic.

Zz.

rahaverhma said:
And one more question : please send me the link or tell me that how people are getting near this aim with the computers, I mean, how they are doing it?
Some complex problems in Physics can only be solved computationally, and in that sense, computers help you understand the natural phenomena. If your question is, however, if computers can develop the theories themselves - it's possible, but that is yet to be seen AFAIK.

Last edited:

1. What is the role of computers in understanding physics?

Computers play a crucial role in understanding physics by enabling scientists to simulate complex physical systems, analyze large sets of data, and visualize and model complex phenomena.

2. How do computers help in solving physics problems?

Computers can solve complex equations and perform calculations at a much faster and accurate rate than humans, making them essential tools for solving physics problems and predicting outcomes of experiments.

3. What types of simulations can be run using computers in physics?

Computers can run various simulations, including molecular dynamics simulations, fluid dynamics simulations, and quantum mechanics simulations, to study and understand different physical processes and phenomena.

4. Can computers help in making predictions in physics?

Yes, computers can make predictions in physics by using mathematical models and simulations to analyze data and predict outcomes of experiments. However, the accuracy of the predictions depends on the quality of the data and the complexity of the system being studied.

5. What are some examples of real-world applications of computers in understanding physics?

Computers are widely used in various fields of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics, to study and understand complex systems and phenomena. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as nuclear energy, semiconductor devices, and advanced materials.