Computing max tensile and compressive stress in a bar

In summary, the student has completed all the necessary calculations for their assignment and is only unsure about how to determine the tensile and compressive stresses. They have included their work and found maximum stresses of 3.84 Mpa and 2.77 Mpa, respectively. Additionally, they are wondering about the expected deflection of the beam and have realized that the top experiences tension and the bottom experiences compression. They have also learned that the outside of the bend is in tension and the inside is in compression.
tyler300ZX

Homework Statement

I've used all the proper equations and done all the work with no problem. My only question is when computing the maximum stress, how do I know which one is the tensile and which on is the compressive? I've attached all my work and came out with Max stress = 3.84 Mpa and Max stress = 2.77 Mpa. I just want to know how I decide which one is compressive or tensile stress. Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

strengths

Attachments

• 20150314_171912.jpg
    20150314_171912.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 712
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry first post and all the work is already done, so my formatting is probably incorrect

tyler300ZX said:

Homework Statement

I just want to know how I decide which one is compressive or tensile stress. Thanks!

Based on just how his beam is loaded, what would you expect the deflection of the beam to be? Would it curve up or down in the center?

The beam is going to bend in the shape of a U. So it'll bend down in the center

haha sorry its going to bend up in the center, like an lower case n.

SteamKing said:
Based on just how his beam is loaded, what would you expect the deflection of the beam to be? Would it curve up or down in the center?
Thanks man I think i figured it out. The top is going to be experiencing tension and the bottom compression. Thank you!

tyler300ZX said:
Thanks man I think i figured it out. The top is going to be experiencing tension and the bottom compression. Thank you!
An easy way to remember this is that the outside of the bend is in tension and the inside of the bend is in compression.

Related to Computing max tensile and compressive stress in a bar

1. What is the purpose of computing max tensile and compressive stress in a bar?

The purpose of computing max tensile and compressive stress in a bar is to determine the maximum amount of tension and compression that the bar can withstand before it fails. This is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the bar in various applications.

2. What factors affect the max tensile and compressive stress in a bar?

The max tensile and compressive stress in a bar is affected by factors such as the material properties of the bar, the cross-sectional area, the length of the bar, and the applied load or force.

3. How is the max tensile and compressive stress calculated?

The max tensile and compressive stress can be calculated using the formula σ = F/A, where σ is the stress, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the bar. For tensile stress, the force is applied in the direction of the length of the bar, while for compressive stress, the force is applied in the opposite direction.

4. What is the difference between tensile and compressive stress?

Tensile stress occurs when a force is applied in the direction of the length of the bar, causing the bar to stretch or elongate. Compressive stress, on the other hand, occurs when a force is applied in the opposite direction, causing the bar to compress or shorten. Both types of stress can cause structural failure if they exceed the maximum stress that the bar can withstand.

5. How can the max tensile and compressive stress be reduced?

The max tensile and compressive stress in a bar can be reduced by increasing the cross-sectional area of the bar, using a different material with higher strength, or distributing the load over a larger area. Proper design and engineering techniques can also help to minimize stress concentrations and avoid unnecessary forces on the bar.