Computing the infinitesimal generators for the Mobius transformation

In summary, the conversation discussed a transformation with parameters and the formula for its generator. The "Id" notation was also explained.
platypi
Homework Statement
The Mobius transformation is $$\frac{at+b}{ct+b},$$ with the constraint ##ad-bc=1##. Find the infinitesimal generators of its Lie algebra.
Relevant Equations
N/A
I don't know where to start. I understand that the constraint ##ad-bc=1## gives us one less parameter since ##d=1+bc/a##. So we can rewrite our original function. I know how to compute the generators of matrix groups but in this case the generators will be functions. I also know there should be three of them since we have three independent parameters. However, I'm not sure what to do. I think we may have to take partial derivatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
[ I presume your denominator should be ##ct+d## ? ]

Suppose you have a transformation of the form $$ t' = t'(t,a,b,c,...)~,$$where ##a,b,c## are parameters of the transformation.

The general formula for the generator of such a coordinate transformation is $$X_a ~=~ \left. \frac{\partial t'}{\partial a} \right|_{a,b,c=\text{Id}} \; \frac{\partial}{\partial t}$$and similarly for ##b,c,...##

The "Id" notation denotes whatever value the parameter has at the identity transformation. E.g., in the Mobius case, for ##t' = t## we must have ##a=d=1##, and ##b = c = 0##.

Last edited:

1. What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation is a complex function that maps points on the complex plane to other points on the same plane. It is defined by the formula f(z) = (az + b)/(cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is the input value. Mobius transformations are commonly used in complex analysis and geometry.

2. What is an infinitesimal generator?

An infinitesimal generator is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a system over infinitesimally small time intervals. In the context of Mobius transformations, the infinitesimal generator represents the derivative of the transformation at a given point. It can be used to determine the direction and rate of change of the transformation at that point.

3. Why is computing the infinitesimal generators important for Mobius transformations?

Computing the infinitesimal generators allows us to better understand the behavior of Mobius transformations and how they affect points on the complex plane. It also helps us to analyze the properties of these transformations and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What is the process for computing the infinitesimal generators for a Mobius transformation?

The process involves taking the derivative of the Mobius transformation function f(z) = (az + b)/(cz + d) with respect to z. This will give us a new function g(z) = (a'z + b')/(c'z + d'), where a', b', c', and d' are complex numbers. The infinitesimal generator is then defined as the matrix [a' b'; c' d'], which can be used to determine the behavior of the transformation at a given point.

5. Are there any practical applications for computing the infinitesimal generators of Mobius transformations?

Yes, there are several practical applications for this concept. One example is in computer graphics, where Mobius transformations are used to create visual effects such as reflections and rotations. By computing the infinitesimal generators, we can better understand and control these transformations to achieve the desired effects. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.