Computing the Isospin of the Deuteron

In summary, the deuteron is a bound state of a proton and neutron with orbital angular momentum L=0 and spin S=1. To a good approximation we can neglect the proton-neutron mass difference and electromagnetic interactions, and treat the proton and neutron as two isospin components of the same I = 1/2 fermion, the nucleon.The deuteron's isospin is I=0.
Estartha

Homework Statement

The deuteron is mostly a bound state of a proton and neutron with orbital angular momentum L=0 and spin S=1. To a good approximation we can neglect the proton-neutron mass difference and electromagnetic interactions, and treat the proton and neutron as two isospin components of the same I = 1/2 fermion, the nucleon.

Show that the isospin of the deuteron is I=0.

Homework Equations

Isospin Proton: 1/2
Isospin Neutron: -1/2
And the isospin of two nucleons:
[tex] I_{NN} = |NN ; I, I_3\rangle [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the isospin of the neutron is -1/2 and the isospin of the proton is 1/2. I've narrowed down the possible isospin states to the following:

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|\text{NP} \rangle + |\text{PN}\rangle ] [/tex]
and
[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|\text{NP} \rangle - |\text{PN}\rangle ] [/tex]

I know which one it needs to be (i.e. |0,0>), but I am feeling unsure of my reasoning as to why it should be explicitly that state and not |1,0>. My guess is that because of S=1 and L=0, this means the nucleus is in the S=0 state which means the nucleons are in the singlet configuration and this transfers over to the isospin (i.e. the |0,0> isospin state corresponds to the singlet configuration). Does anyone know if this roughly correct reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that's correct. It's been awhile, so I may be totally wrong here. You're considering the proton and neutron to be identical particles, so what symmetry requirement has to be met by the deuteron's state?

So I'm guessing isospin assumes that we're looking at two states of one particle, so we're assuming that the proton and neutron are "states" of a particle we're calling the nucleon, so the idea is that we regard the proton and neutron as identical fermions? And identical fermions (say particles a and b) have a wave function [tex] \psi(\vec{r_1},\vec{r_2} = A[\psi_a(\vec{r_1})\psi_b(\vec{r_2}) - \psi_b(\vec{r_1})\psi_a(\vec{r_2})] [/tex] Is this what you're referring to?

Okay, I think I see it now. If we're using the isospin representation, then we have to regard the proton and neutron as indistinguishable fermions which means the deuteron's wave function is antisymmetric. Thank you for your help!

What is the isospin of the Deuteron?

The isospin of the Deuteron is a quantum number that describes the strong nuclear force between the two nucleons (proton and neutron) that make up the Deuteron. It is used to classify and understand the properties of nuclear particles.

How is the isospin of the Deuteron calculated?

The isospin of the Deuteron is calculated by looking at the number of up and down quarks in each of its constituent protons and neutrons. The isospin value is then determined by taking the difference between the number of up and down quarks, with a value of 0 for equal numbers and 1 for unequal numbers.

Why is the isospin of the Deuteron important in nuclear physics?

The isospin of the Deuteron is important in nuclear physics because it helps us understand the strong nuclear force that binds protons and neutrons together. It also allows us to predict the properties of other particles and nuclei with similar isospin values.

Can the isospin of the Deuteron change?

Yes, the isospin of the Deuteron can change through certain nuclear reactions. For example, it can change if one of its constituent protons or neutrons undergoes a process called isospin flip, where its up and down quarks exchange positions.

What are the possible values for the isospin of the Deuteron?

The possible values for the isospin of the Deuteron are 0 and 1, with a value of 0 being more common. There are also other isotopes with similar isospin values, such as the triton with a value of 1/2 and the helium-3 with a value of 1/2.