Quantum numbers of a system of particles

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question is about finding the possible angular momentum for two identical bosons with a symmetric wave function. The correct expression for the exchange of particles is (-1)^(l+s), leading to the conclusion that l and s must both be even. This is in line with the solution provided for the exercise.
Aleolomorfo
Homework Statement
Find the possible values of isospin, parity, charge conjugation, G-parity and totoal angular momentum J, up to J=2, for ##\rho^0 \rho^0## state
Relevant Equations
##(exchange) \psi_{space} = (parity) \psi_{space}##
##(exchange) \psi_{spin} = (-1)^s for bosons##
##(exchange) \psi_{isospin} = (-1)^s for bosons##
Hello everybody!

I have a problem with this exercise when I have to find the possible angular momentum.

Since ##\rho^0 \rho^0## are two identical bosons, their wave function must be symmetric under exchange.

$$(exchange)\psi_{\rho\rho} = (exchange) \psi_{space} \psi_{isospin} \psi_{spin} = (-1)^l (-1)^I (-1)^s$$

Since I have still calculated that ##I = 0## or ##I = 2##:

$$(exchange)\psi_{\rho\rho} = (-1)^{l+s}$$

To be symmetric ##\rightarrow## l+s must be even.

However, the solution of the exercise states that:
The two particles are identical bosons, hence l must be even (l=0, 2, 4, ...). The spin wave function must be symmetrical too, hence s=0, 2, 4, ...
This is different from my conclusion.
I'd like to ask you where is my mistake.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of identical bosons and their wave function. However, there is a small mistake in your calculation. The exchange of two identical particles does not introduce a factor of (-1)^l, but rather (-1)^(2l) = 1. This is because the particles are identical, so their wave function must be symmetric under exchange. This means that the total wave function must remain unchanged when the particles are exchanged, and not just the space, isospin, and spin parts separately.

Therefore, the correct expression for the exchange of two identical particles would be:

$$(exchange)\psi_{\rho\rho} = (exchange) \psi_{space} \psi_{isospin} \psi_{spin} = (-1)^l (-1)^I (-1)^s (-1)^{2l} = (-1)^{l+s}$$

As you can see, this is the same expression you have obtained in your calculation. So, your conclusion is actually correct. The spin wave function must also be symmetric, which means that s must be even. Therefore, the possible values of l and s for two identical bosons are l = 0, 2, 4, ... and s = 0, 2, 4, ...

I hope this clarifies your doubt. Keep up the good work and keep exploring the fascinating world of quantum mechanics!

What are quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are a set of numbers used to describe the properties of particles in a quantum system. They provide information about the energy, angular momentum, and other characteristics of particles.

Why are quantum numbers important?

Quantum numbers are important because they help us understand the behavior and properties of particles in a quantum system. They allow us to make predictions about how particles will interact and behave under certain conditions.

What are the four quantum numbers?

The four quantum numbers are the principal quantum number, the azimuthal quantum number, the magnetic quantum number, and the spin quantum number. Each one provides information about a different aspect of a particle's properties.

How are quantum numbers determined?

Quantum numbers are determined through various mathematical equations and experiments. They are based on the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and are used to explain and predict the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

Can quantum numbers change?

Yes, quantum numbers can change. As particles interact and move through different energy levels, their quantum numbers can change to reflect their new properties. This allows for a greater understanding of the behavior of particles in dynamic quantum systems.