Conditional probability and partitions

In summary, the conversation discusses several probability problems involving flipping coins. The first problem asks for the probability of getting a head when randomly choosing and flipping one of three coins with different probabilities of showing a head. The second problem involves flipping all three coins and asks whether the outcomes of each coin are independent. The third problem involves picking a coin at random and flipping it twice, both times getting a head, and asks for the conditional probability of picking the 3/4 probability coin. The final problem involves picking one of the other two coins at random and flipping it, and asks for the probability of getting a head. The conversation also mentions the Partition Theorem and Bayes' Theorem as possible tools for solving these problems.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

I'm currently trying to revise for exams and really struggling on this problem:

Suppose you have 3 coins that look identical (ie don't know which is which) with probabilites of 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of showing a head.

1. If you pick a coin at random and flip it, what is the probability of a head?
2. If you flip all 3 coins 1 after the other what is the probability of getting 3 heads? Are the three events Aj that the jth coin shows a head for j=1,2,3 independent?
3. You pick a coin at random and flip it twice and get a head both times. What is the conditional probability that you picked the coin with a probability of 3/4 of getting a head?
4. You pick one of the other 2 coins at random and flip it. What is the probability of a head?

Homework Equations

Partition Theorem P(A) = [tex]\sum[/tex] P(A | Bi)P(Bi)

P(B|A) = P(A|B)P(B)/P(A)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think this is 1/2, by adding up the probabilities and dividing by 3.

2. Would I get the probability of all heads by doing 1/4 x 1/2 x 3/4 = 3/32? As I assume that getting a head on one coin does not affect the other coins?

But then I'm not sure about the next part of (2). Is P(A1) = 1/2 by (1). The I tried to use the partition theorem for P(A2)

P(A2) = P(A2|A1)P(A1) + P(A2|not A1) P(not A1)
P(A1) = 1/2 = P(not A1) but apart from this I don't know.

3. P(3/4 coin | 2 heads) = P (2 heads| 3/4 coin)P(3/4 coin) / P(2 heads) = 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/3 / P(2 heads), but I don't know P(2 heads). Would drawing a probability tree work to find this?

4. I have not yet attempted this as I wanted to be clear on the rest of the question 1st.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Yes, fine.

2) Yes, the probability of getting all heads if you flip all three coins is 3/32. For that part, flipping the coins one after the others is equivalent to flipping them all at once, because you're not going to stop or distinguish one flip from the others.

Now for this second part.
Suppose that the Ajs were independent. Then the probability of getting three heads would be (1/2)3 = 1/8. But that doesn't match your answer above. So clearly they aren't independent.

To calculate p(A2 | A1), the probability that if flip 1 were a head, flip 2 will then be a head, try using the following questions:

What is the probability (given that the first coin was a head) that the first coin's inherent heads probability is 1/4? 1/2? 3/4? What do those probabilities sum to? If the first coin was the 1/4 coin, what is the probability of A2? Likewise for the other coins. If you have all these facts, then you should be able to figure out p(A2 | A1).

3) A tree would help you out in finding P(2 heads), but you can probably do it in your head. What's the probability that you get 2 heads in a row if your coin is 1/4? 1/2? 3/4? What are the a priori probabilities that you have these coins (ignoring your given outcomes)?

4) Just an extension of the last problem.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

For question 2, the first part of your answer seems to make it unnecessary to calculate P(A2 | A1) but as I'm still finding it hard to do I shall persevere. Or do I still need to do it for the question?

I get P(1/4 | A1) = P(A1 | 1/4) P(1/4)/P(A1) = (1/4)(1/3)/(1/2) = 1/6. P(1/2 | A1) = 1/3, P(3/4 | A1) = 1/2. These sum to 1.

The next bit I'm more unsure of:
P(A2| 1/4 coin 1st) = (1/2 + 3/4) / 2 = 5/8
P(A2 | 1/2 coin 1st) = (1/4 + 3/4) / 2 = 1/2
P(A2 | 3/4 coin 1st) = (1/4 + 1/2) / 2 = 3/8
These don't sum to 1?

Then, again kind of guessing, P(A2 | A1) = P(A1|A2)P(A2)/P(A1) = P(A2) as P(A1 | A2) = P(A1)?

P(A2) = (1/6)(5/8) + (1/2)(3/8) + (1/2)(1/3) = 11/24

And for 3:

P(2 heads | 1/4 coin) = 1/16
P(2 heads | 1/2 coin) = 1/4
P(2 heads | 3/4 coin) = 9/16

We choose each coin with probability 1/3 as they look identical, so using the partition theorem we get P(2 heads) = 1/3 (1/16 + 1/4 + 9/16) = 1/3

Then my final answer for 3 is 9/16

Last edited:
Kate2010 said:
Thanks, that's really helpful.

For question 2, the first part of your answer seems to make it unnecessary to calculate P(A2 | A1) but as I'm still finding it hard to do I shall persevere. Or do I still need to do it for the question?

I get P(1/4 | A1) = P(A1 | 1/4) P(1/4)/P(A1) = (1/4)(1/3)/(1/2) = 1/6. P(1/2 | A1) = 1/3, P(3/4 | A1) = 1/2. These sum to 1.

Yup, good so far.

Kate2010 said:
The next bit I'm more unsure of:
P(A2| 1/4 coin 1st) = (1/2 + 3/4) / 2 = 5/8
P(A2 | 1/2 coin 1st) = (1/4 + 3/4) / 2 = 1/2
P(A2 | 3/4 coin 1st) = (1/4 + 1/2) / 2 = 3/8
These don't sum to 1?

Yup, they don't sum to one, because they are conditional on all different things. Imagine there were 1000 coins which all impacted A2 by just a little bit away from 1/2. Those 1000 numbers wouldn't sum to 1 either. :>

Kate2010 said:
Then, again kind of guessing, P(A2 | A1) = P(A1|A2)P(A2)/P(A1) = P(A2) as P(A1 | A2) = P(A1)?

OK, off track now.

Don't use Bayes' Theorem for this one.

Try P(A2 | A1) = P (A2 [itex]\cap[/itex] A1) / P(A1). You'll need to figure out how to calculate P (A2 [itex]\cap[/itex] A1), but you've already got all the pieces you need for that.

Kate2010 said:
And for 3:

P(2 heads | 1/4 coin) = 1/16
P(2 heads | 1/2 coin) = 1/4
P(2 heads | 3/4 coin) = 9/16

We choose each coin with probability 1/3 as they look identical, so using the partition theorem we get P(2 heads) = 1/3 (1/16 + 1/4 + 9/16) = 1/3

Then my final answer for 3 is 9/16

1/3(1/16 + 1/4 + 9/16) is not 1/3.

Thank you very much for clearing some things up :)
I still don't totally understand but I think I'll just wait for my class.

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of the two events by the probability of the first event.

2. What is a partition in probability?

In probability, a partition is a set of mutually exclusive and exhaustive events. This means that the events in a partition cannot occur simultaneously and together they cover all possible outcomes. Partitions are useful in calculating conditional probabilities.

3. How is conditional probability different from regular probability?

Regular probability calculates the likelihood of an event occurring without taking into account any prior information. On the other hand, conditional probability uses prior knowledge about one event to determine the likelihood of another event occurring.

4. How does Bayes' theorem relate to conditional probability?

Bayes' theorem is a mathematical formula that helps calculate conditional probabilities. It uses prior information, represented by the conditional probability, to update the probability of an event occurring.

5. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in conditional probability?

In dependent events, the outcome of one event affects the probability of the other event occurring. In independent events, the outcome of one event has no influence on the probability of the other event occurring. Conditional probability is used to determine the relationship between dependent events.