Conditions for the applicability of u-substitution

In summary, the conditions for the applicability of u-substitution are that there must be a one-to-one continuous mapping from the original variable to the new variable. If this condition is not met, the substitution may yield wrong answers. This can be seen in the example of integrating odd functions, where the bounds are equal and a different relationship between the variables exists for positive and negative values. To avoid incorrect answers, the integral must be split in these cases.
justthisonequestion
What are the conditions for applicability of u-substitution, i.e. when does it not work? Note that I'm not asking when is it a bad idea (that won't get you any closer to evaluating the integral), but are there any conditions that cause u-sub to yield wrong answers?

I started running into what I think is a case of u-sub not working when I was thinking about integrals of odd functions, ex:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x e^{-a x^2}dx$$
$$u=x^2$$
$$du=2xdx$$
$$\int_{-b}^{b}x e^{-a x^2}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int_{b^2}^{b^2} e^{-a u}dx=0$$
Where the last part equals zero because now the bounds are equal...
But this begged the question... why can't I just u-sub in such a way that the bounds on the integral are always equal, and all integrals go to 0? - Obviously there has to be some constraint on the applicability of u-sub.

Here is an example where it seems u-sub just leads to the wrong answer...

$$\int_{-2}^{1}x^4dx=\frac{33}{5}=6.6$$
With $$u=x^2$$ we get:

$$\frac{1}{2}\int_{4}^{1}u^{3/2}du=-\frac{31}{5}=-6.2$$

So what gives? What basic mathematical principle is being violated here? I'm sure I learned this at some point... waaay back when.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's interesting. I haven't studied it in sufficient detail to give a complete answer, but one thing that stands out is that you don't have a one-to-one continuous mapping from ## x## to ## u ##. I think that is likely to be the source of the difficulty.

justthisonequestion said:
Here is an example where it seems u-sub just leads to the wrong answer...

$$\int_{-2}^{1}x^4dx=\frac{33}{5}=6.6$$
With $$u=x^2$$ we get:

$$\frac{1}{2}\int_{4}^{1}u^{3/2}du=-\frac{31}{5}=-6.2$$

So what gives? What basic mathematical principle is being violated here? I'm sure I learned this at some point... waaay back when.

If ##u = x^2##, then ##x = \pm \sqrt{u} = \pm u^{1/2}##. In particular, the equation ##x = u^{1/2}## is not correct for all ##x## in this case.

You have, therefore, a different relationship between ##x## and ##u## depending on whether ##x## is positive or negative. So, you need to split the integral to do the substitution in this case.

Related to Conditions for the applicability of u-substitution

What is u-substitution and why is it important?

U-substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable, u, to make the integral easier to solve. This technique is important because it allows us to solve more complex integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

What are the conditions for the applicability of u-substitution?

The conditions for the applicability of u-substitution are that the integral must be in the form ∫f(g(x))g'(x)dx and there must exist a function u=g(x) such that the derivative of u, du, appears in the integral.

How do I choose the appropriate u for u-substitution?

To choose the appropriate u for u-substitution, look for a part of the integrand that is a function within a function, such as sin(x^2) or e^(x^3). Then, let u equal the inner function and find du by taking the derivative of u with respect to x. If du appears in the integral, u-substitution is applicable.

Can I use u-substitution to solve all integrals?

No, u-substitution can only be used to solve integrals that meet the conditions for its applicability. Some integrals may require other techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitutions, to be solved.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using u-substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using u-substitution include not correctly identifying the appropriate u, forgetting to substitute for dx with du when solving the integral, and not accounting for the limits of integration when substituting for u. It is important to carefully follow the steps of u-substitution to avoid these errors and arrive at the correct solution.