Conducting slab between a parallel-plate-capacitor

• Thread starter Tufts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conducting
In summary, the problem is that the dieletrics problem I am studying for is not conceptually correct.
Tufts
This is a problem I found while studying for an exam I have next thursday, and conceptually it doesn't make any sense for me!

NOTE - This is not a dieletrics problem.

Homework Statement

A conducting slab with a thickness d and area A is inserted into the space between the plates of a parallel-plate-capacitor with spacing s and area A. What is the value of the capacitance of the system?

Diagram of the system:

------------------------

//////////////////////////// < Conducter Slab (d wide, with area A)

------------------------

Homework Equations

[tex]C = \frac{\epsilon_{o}A}{d}[/tex] (1)

Capacitors in parallel combination: [tex]C_{eq} = C_{1} + C_{2}[/tex] (2)
Capacitors in series combination: [tex]\frac{1}{C_{eq}}= \frac{1}{C_{1}}+\frac{1}{C_{2}}[/tex] (3)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first sight, I immediately identified this problem as a simple series capacitor combination problem. Why? The conducter slab inbetween the plates will divide the existing capacitor into two after reaching eletrostatic equilibrium, as in the diagram:

+Q
--------------------
< First capacitor
-Q
--------------------
///////////////////////
--------------------
+Q
< Second capacitor
--------------------
-Q

Since the slab is a conductor, it acts as a bridge or a conducting wire between these two capacitors. One capacitor after the other, seems to be series for me. Knowing that, I used equation 1 (where [tex]d[/tex] = 2(s - d)) to find the individual values of the capacitors, and used it along with equation 3 to find the equivalent capacitor.

My answer: [tex]C_{eq} = \frac{\epsilon_{o}A}{4(s-d)}[/tex]

Unfortunately that wasn't correct. The real answer was [tex]\frac{\epsilon_{o}A}{s-d}[/tex] which after reverse engineering, used parallel combination instead of series. Like I said before, this doesn't make sense at all for me.

Can anyone explain this? I would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Tufts said:
A conducting slab with a thickness d and area A is inserted into the space between the plates of a parallel-plate-capacitor with spacing s and area A. What is the value of the capacitance of the system?

Since the slab is a conductor, it acts as a bridge or a conducting wire between these two capacitors. One capacitor after the other, seems to be series for me. Knowing that, I used equation 1 (where [tex]d[/tex] = 2(s - d)) …

Hi Tufts! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Isn't [tex]d[/tex] = (s - d)/2?

Oh no! Silly me!

I guess I was thinking too hard on this question, and blatantly ignoring an obvious mistake. Thanks for noticing. I'm glad that at least my analysis of the system was correct.

The slab does not have to be in the middle. The nice thing is that the result does not depend on the position of the slab.
It would be interesting (and quite easy) to try to solve the problem in the general case.
I mean, take s1 and s2 as spacing for the two capacitors, with s1+s2=d-s

Well it makes sense why it would work for any position. If one of the distances get larger, the other one has to get smaller in the same proportion. This way the sum is always the same.

Now I'm doing some excercises on capacitors and I found a pretty similar one to this, and I this the answer given here is not correct (if I'm wrong, please tell me, because on this depends my exam result :tongue: ).

I think that we have to remember about the the permittivity of the slab (εr), because the electric field in the slab is different than in the capacitor.
So the capacitance will be:

C=[tex]\frac{\epsilon S}{d-b+\frac{b}{\epsilon r }}[/tex]

where d is the distance between plates of capacitor and b is the thickness of the slab.

If anyone could tell me is it correct, I would really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

1. What is a conducting slab between a parallel-plate-capacitor?

A conducting slab between a parallel-plate-capacitor refers to a material or layer that is inserted between two parallel plates of a capacitor, which allows for the flow of electric current between the plates.

2. How does a conducting slab affect the capacitance of a parallel-plate-capacitor?

A conducting slab between the plates of a parallel-plate-capacitor increases the capacitance of the capacitor. This is because the insertion of a conducting material between the plates allows for more charges to accumulate on the plates, thus increasing the overall capacitance.

3. What is the purpose of using a conducting slab in a parallel-plate-capacitor?

The main purpose of using a conducting slab in a parallel-plate-capacitor is to increase the capacitance and therefore the energy storage capacity of the capacitor. This is especially useful in applications where a higher capacitance is required.

4. How does the thickness and material of the conducting slab affect the capacitance of a parallel-plate-capacitor?

The thickness and material of the conducting slab can greatly affect the capacitance of a parallel-plate-capacitor. Thicker slabs and materials with higher conductivity will generally result in a higher capacitance, while thinner slabs and materials with lower conductivity will result in a lower capacitance.

5. What are some potential applications of conducting slabs in parallel-plate-capacitors?

Conducting slabs are commonly used in parallel-plate-capacitors in various electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also utilized in power grids and energy storage systems, where a higher capacitance is required for efficient energy storage and transmission.