Conflict between Windows and Avast

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows 10
In summary: Windows 10 checks for updated drivers automatically, and will install the most up-to-date drivers that are compatible with your device. Ignore the warnings from Avast, or switch to Win Security.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Avast Antivirus tells me I need driver updates (and thus to buy their premium...), while Windows tells me that my drivers are up to date when I follow the instructions to update drivers. Whom should a lay person believe?
When I follow the directions on https://helpcenter.trendmicro.com/en-us/article/tmka-11234, I am told by Windows 10 that all my drivers are updated. Avast Antivirus keeps giving me notices to try to make me upgrade from the present free version to their Premium version, and one of them is that I have 12 outdated drivers. Outside of a bit of problem with audio in Skype recently, I haven't noticed anything giving me problems on my computer, but as I am a lay person (with respect to computers), there is always the nagging suspicion that I may be doing something wrong. Should I just continue to ignore this pitch from Avast? If Avast is correct, I find it hard to believe that the only way to update the drivers is via their program. (I am not computer savvy enough to go into the actual programming.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Probably just another marketing scheme. Even if driver updates are available, they may not be actually suitable for your setup and break things, which is why Windows doesn't show them. If compatible updates are available, Windows will install them when necessary if you upgrade regularly. Ignore the warnings from Avast, or switch to Win Security.

Likes nomadreid and russ_watters
Avast ye scurvy dogs!

Avast got caught with their hand in the cookie jar selling customer data with Jumpshot. You can decide for yourself how trustworthy or sketchy they are.

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, nomadreid and Tom.G
Thanks, Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50!

Likes Wrichik Basu
Hmm. I use Norton, not Avast, but recently it's been doing the same thing, i.e. advising me that some drivers aren't the latest and inviting me to solve the problem by upgrading my subscription to a significantly more expensive option. I have declined the invitation.

Likes nomadreid and Wrichik Basu
nomadreid said:
Avast Antivirus keeps giving me notices to try to make me upgrade from the present free version to their Premium version, and one of them is that I have 12 outdated drivers.
AVG Free does the same, on weekly basis.
It is also frequently naggin' me about registry items, temporary files, possibly visible network activity, tracking cookies and such, all solved by buying the full version, of course...

I was told once that Comodo is less aggressive. I might consider to switch.

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
Software updating apps often provide updates from OEMs which is not always applicable to the device. For example Avast might recommend a Realtek audio driver for a HP computer that HP themselves have not verified as compatible.

The safest way to update drivers is via the computer or component manufacturers website.

Likes nomadreid

What is the conflict between Windows and Avast?

The conflict between Windows and Avast refers to the compatibility issues that arise when both programs are running simultaneously on a computer. This can lead to performance problems and errors.

Why do Windows and Avast conflict with each other?

The conflict between Windows and Avast is often caused by conflicting system resources or settings. For example, both programs may be trying to access the same file or process at the same time, causing conflicts.

What are the symptoms of a conflict between Windows and Avast?

The symptoms of a conflict between Windows and Avast may include slow computer performance, frequent error messages, and crashes or freezes. Your computer may also become unresponsive or shut down unexpectedly.

How can I resolve the conflict between Windows and Avast?

To resolve the conflict between Windows and Avast, you can try updating both programs to their latest versions. You can also try disabling certain features or settings in one of the programs to see if that resolves the issue.

Is it safe to have both Windows and Avast installed on my computer?

Yes, it is safe to have both Windows and Avast installed on your computer. However, it is important to ensure that both programs are up to date and that there are no conflicts between them. If you continue to experience issues, you may want to consider using a different antivirus program or seeking further assistance from technical support.