Confused About Boundary Conditions for ##y## and ##x##

In summary, the boundary conditions for x and y are x=0 and y=0. The boundary condition for x is inhomogeneous.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached.
Relevant Equations
separation of variables and basic knowledge on boundary and initial conditions
I am going through this notes, i can follow quite well...my only issue is on the highlighted part...i thought that we had two boundary conditions for ##y## ( of which one of them is non homogenous) and two boundary conditions for ##x##( of which both are homogenous)...kindly clarify on this part...

1639114732179.png
1639115124985.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my working on the given homogenous boundary conditions,
Let ## U(x,y) = X⋅Y##
1. Given, ##u(x,0)= 0##, then it follows that,
##0=X(x) Y(0)## →##Y(0)=0##

2. Given, ##u(L,y)= 0##, then it follows that,
##0=X(L) Y(y)## →##X(L)=0##

3. Given, ##u(x,H)= 0##, then it follows that,
##0=X(x) Y(H)## →##Y(H)=0##

The remaining steps to solution will follow accordingly...

Last edited:
You have two homogeneous boundary conditions on y and one on x. The second boundary condition on x is inhomogeneous.

Likes chwala
Orodruin said:
You have two homogeneous boundary conditions on y and one on x. The second boundary condition on x is inhomogeneous.
Thanks i got a little mixed up there,...from my opening remarks on post ##1##, the boundary conditions for ##x## and ##y## ought to be the way you've indicated...and not other way round. Cheers...

...also for the problem below, which is quite related to the original post;

Note
Kindly note that i share this so that when it comes to solving pde related problems in future then atleast you guys will have an understanding of my approach )...cheers guys.

1639123599326.png

1639123622685.png

Ok here, we have,
##u_t=k u_{xx} - u## given the initial condition, ##u(x,0)= f(x)## and boundary conditions, ##u(0,t)=0## and ##-u_x(L,t)=u(L,t)## then,

Let ##u(x,t)= XT##
##u_t= XT^{'}##
##u_{xx}= X^{''}T##
on substitution to the pde, we shall have,
##XT^{'}##=##kX^{''}T-XT##
##\frac {T^{'}}{T}##=##\frac {kX^{''}-X}{X}##=##-λ##
##\frac {T^{'}}{T}##+##1##=##\frac {kX^{''}}{X}##=##-λ##
##→\frac {1}{k}##[##\frac {T^{'}}{T}##+##1##]=##\frac {X^{''}}{X}##=##-λ## (two ordinary differential equations realized)...
Now when it comes to the boundary conditions, we know that,
##u(x,t)= XT##
1. ##u(0,t)= 0##
→##0=X(0)T(t)##, ##T(t) ≠0## →##X(0)=0##

2. ##u(L,t) + u_x(L,t)=0##
##X(L)T(t) +X^{'}(L)T(t)=0##
since##X(0)##=##0## →##X(L)=X^{'}(L)##=##0##

bingo:cool:

Last edited:

1. What are boundary conditions in the context of ##y## and ##x##?

Boundary conditions refer to the specific values or constraints that are applied to a mathematical function or system at the boundaries or edges of the domain. In the case of ##y## and ##x##, boundary conditions can help determine the behavior of the function at the beginning and end points of the x-axis.

2. How do boundary conditions affect the solution for ##y## and ##x##?

Boundary conditions can greatly impact the solution for ##y## and ##x## by limiting the possible values or behaviors of the function. They can also help determine the uniqueness or existence of a solution for a given problem.

3. What are the different types of boundary conditions for ##y## and ##x##?

The most common types of boundary conditions for ##y## and ##x## are Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin conditions. Dirichlet conditions specify the function's value at the boundary, Neumann conditions specify the function's derivative at the boundary, and Robin conditions are a combination of both.

4. How do I determine the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific problem involving ##y## and ##x##?

The appropriate boundary conditions for a problem involving ##y## and ##x## will depend on the specific problem and the behavior of the function. It is important to carefully consider the physical or mathematical constraints of the problem and choose boundary conditions that accurately reflect those constraints.

5. Can boundary conditions be changed or adjusted during the solution process for ##y## and ##x##?

In some cases, boundary conditions can be adjusted during the solution process for ##y## and ##x##. However, this may significantly change the behavior or uniqueness of the solution, so it is important to carefully consider the implications before making any changes.