Is Mass Irrelevant in This Problem?

In summary: If the car has a mass of ##1000 kg##, then it would take ##10 m/s## to stop, regardless of the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Arwing
Homework Statement
An automobile's wheels are locked as it slides to a stop from 34.9 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.266 and the road is horizontal, how long does it take the car to stop?
Relevant Equations
F=ma, Fg=mg, Fk=coefficient of friction * Fn
I'm not sure where to start, I feel like I'm missing the mass but it is not listed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you don't need the mass. What do the kinematic equations that don't depend on mass have to say?

Likes topsquark
Arwing said:
Homework Statement:: An automobile's wheels are locked as it slides to a stop from 34.9 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.266 and the road is horizontal, how long does it take the car to stop?
Relevant Equations:: F=ma, Fg=mg, Fk=coefficient of friction * Fn

I'm not sure where to start, I feel like I'm missing the mass but it is not listed.
You don't need the mass. Go ahead and solve the equations to find the acceleration.

Likes topsquark
Arwing said:
Homework Statement:: An automobile's wheels are locked as it slides to a stop from 34.9 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.266 and the road is horizontal, how long does it take the car to stop?
Relevant Equations:: F=ma, Fg=mg, Fk=coefficient of friction * Fn

You could assume a) it's a toy car with a mass of ##1 kg##; and, b) a real car with a mass of ##1000 kg##; and see what difference that makes.

Which car will stop quicker? The toy or the real one?

Likes topsquark
This thread highlights a common bad habit among many students: trying to compute every single partial result numerically. Most of the time it will be more illuminating to make general symbolic considerations for general input parameters and only insert particular values given in the problem once a general expression for the final result has been reached.

If you think mass is relevant, then introduce a mass parameter m and see if it appears in the final result.

Likes topsquark
Addendum: It can be argued on dimensional grounds that the mass is necessarily irrelevant in this problem.

Likes topsquark

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is often confused with weight, but mass is a constant property of an object, while weight can change depending on the force of gravity.

2. How is mass different from weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

3. How is mass measured?

Mass is typically measured using a balance or scale. The most common unit of mass is the kilogram (kg), but other units such as grams (g) and pounds (lb) are also used.

4. Can mass change?

Mass is a constant property of an object and cannot change. However, the amount of matter in an object can change, which can affect its mass. For example, if an object gains or loses particles, its mass will change.

5. Why is mass important in science?

Mass is an important concept in science because it helps us understand the behavior of matter and the physical world. It is used in many equations and calculations, and is a fundamental property in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.