Confused about the effective range

In summary: This means that as the distance from the potential goes to infinity, the difference between the wavefunctions with and without the potential approaches zero. This is unexpected, as we would expect the potential to have an effect on the wavefunction even at large distances. This is not fully explained by the author and may require further clarification.
kelly0303
Hello! I am reading Introductory Nuclear Physics, Second Edition, by Samuel Wong and in Appendix B-3, he talks about the effective range. In the derivation of the formula, in equation B-34 he writes: $$v_0(k,r)=_{r \to \infty}u_0(k,r)=_{r \to \infty}=A\sin(kr+\delta_0)$$
where ##v_0(k,r)## is the ##l=0## partial wave solution to the Schrodinger equation without any potential, while ##u_0(k,r)## is the ##l=0## partial wave solution to the Schrodinger equation with a spherically symmetric, localized potential. I am not sure I understand why they are equal. On the contrary, the whole 2 parts of the appendix before, talked about how, as ##r \to \infty##, in the case with a potential the wavefunction gathers a phase shift relative to the case without. Basically, for the case without a potential, ##\delta_0=0##. Yet now that phase is not zero for the case without potential, too. I guess I am miss understaning something. Can someone clarify this for me please? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am puzzled by your notation. if [itex]v_0(k, r)[/itex] is the limit of [itex]u_0(k, r)[/itex] as r goes to infinity, how is it a function of r?

HallsofIvy said:
I am puzzled by your notation. if [itex]v_0(k, r)[/itex] is the limit of [itex]u_0(k, r)[/itex] as r goes to infinity, how is it a function of r?
Yeah, I don't really understand that, either. I guess figuring that out might also help me understand what he means in that appendix.

HallsofIvy said:
I interpret the notation as "the difference converges to zero".

mfb said:
I interpret the notation as "the difference converges to zero".
That still doesn't make me understand his argument... Also, sin doesn't converge at infinity.

Last edited:
I don't understand the argument either, but at least the notation I think I understand. The sine doesn't need to converge to zero.
$$v_0(k,r)=_{r \to \infty}u_0(k,r)=_{r \to \infty}=A\sin(kr+\delta_0)$$
Equivalently:
$$\lim_{r \to \infty} \left(v_0(k,r)-u_0(k,r)\right) = 0$$ and $$\lim_{r \to \infty} \left(v_0(k,r)-A\sin(kr+\delta_0)\right) = 0$$

1. What is the effective range in scientific terms?

The effective range is the distance or interval within which a particular phenomenon or event can occur or be observed with a certain level of accuracy or reliability.

2. How is the effective range determined?

The effective range is determined through various methods such as experimentation, mathematical calculations, and statistical analysis. It also depends on factors such as the sensitivity of instruments and the accuracy of measurements.

3. Why is it important to understand the effective range?

Understanding the effective range is crucial for accurate and reliable scientific research and measurements. It helps scientists determine the limitations and capabilities of their methods and equipment, and ensures that their results are valid and meaningful.

4. Can the effective range change?

Yes, the effective range can change depending on various factors such as improvements in technology, changes in environmental conditions, and the use of different measurement techniques. It is important for scientists to regularly reassess the effective range of their methods.

5. How can we extend the effective range?

The effective range can be extended by using more sensitive instruments, improving measurement techniques, and reducing sources of error. It can also be extended by conducting research in different environments or conditions that may provide a wider range of data points.