Confusion in Angular diameter distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular diameter distance and its various definitions, including the comoving sound horizon distance to the LSS and the transverse angular distance. There is confusion over the notation used in different sources and the relationship between different distance measures such as ##r## and ##D##. The conversation recommends a paper for a better understanding of these concepts and clarifies that ##r## is a distance on the surface while ##D## is a distance to the surface.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am writing an article about the Hubble Tension and when I was looking through the angular diameter distance I get confused over something.

In many articles the angular diamater distance to the LSS defined as the

$$D_A^* = \frac{r_s^*}{\theta_s^*}$$ where ##r_s^*## is the comoving sound horizon distance to the LSS and ##\theta_s^*## is the angular size of the LSS.

The angular diameter distance can be defined as

$$d_A = \frac{D}{\theta}~~~~Eqn. (1)$$
By using the FLRW metric for ##d\chi = d\phi = 0## we can write

$$ds = a(t)S_k(\chi)d\theta$$

By taking the integral

$$D \equiv \int ds = a(t)S_k(\chi)\theta~~~~Eqn. (2)$$

In this case by combining (1) and (2) we can write

$$d_A = \frac{D}{\theta}= \frac{a(t)S_k(\chi) \theta}{\theta} = \frac{S_k(\chi)}{(1+z)}$$

where ##1+z = a^{-1}##

$$r \equiv S_k(\chi) =
\begin{cases}
sinh(\chi) & k= -1 \\
\chi & k = 0 \\
sin(\chi) & k = +1
\end{cases}$$

From these definitions, ##r_s^* = D## must be satisfied. But that also does not make sense. So my question is, Am I mixing the notations or these are different definitions ? Beacause in the article its claimed that

$$r_s^* = \int_0^{t_*} c_s(t)\frac{dt}{a(t)} = \int_ {z_*}^{\infty} c_s(t)\frac{dz}{H(z)}$$

but ##D = a(t)S_k(\chi)\theta = r##, which does not make sense

Note: I am using the \begin{equation} ds^2 = -c^2dt^2 + a^2(t)[d\chi^2 + S_k^2(\chi)d\Omega^2]\end{equation} as my metric where

$$\chi = \int_0^r \frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-kr^2}}\equiv \begin{cases}
sinh^{-1}(r) & k= -1 \\
r & k = 0 \\
sin^{-1}(r) & k = +1
\end{cases}$$

For the reference at the sound horizon etc see https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.03663 Page 3

For the derivation of the angular diameter distance see

Daniel Baumann. Cosmology Part III Mathematical Tripos, pages 14–16.
http://theory.uchicago.edu/~liantaow/my-teaching/dark-matter-472/lectures.pdf

Last accessed on 2020-10-1.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I recommend this paper for grasping different distance measures:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9905116

As noted on that paper the ##\theta## values are the distance on the surface (which is a transverse angular distance), ##D## is a distance to the surface (comoving line of sight distance), and ##r## is a comoving distance.

With this notation, simple geometry given a small angle produces a simple relationship between these: ##r = D \theta##. In precise terms, ##r## is the comoving distance across the surface of the sphere, which is fine for this case as the sound horizon is ~1 degree.

You have to correct this result for spatial curvature, if that is non-zero (as described in the Hogg paper), but it's pretty easy to do so.

Likes Arman777 and phyzguy
kimbyd said:
I recommend this paper for grasping different distance measures:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9905116
I have that article actually, I even printed it.
kimbyd said:
which is a transverse angular distance
As far as I can see transverse angular distance is the ##r \equiv S_k(\chi)## ?

I did not understand...can you elaborate a little bit more ?

My problem is when I look into the definitions, we have something like ##r_s^* = D = a(t) S_k(\chi)\theta## but that seems impossible ?

It is also annoying that every book is different kind of notation. Its so confusing to read something.

So let me write in this way

$$D_A^* = \frac{r_s^*}{\theta_s^*} = \frac{\chi}{\theta_s^*} = \frac{\int c \frac{dz}{H(z)}}{\theta_s^*}$$ for ##k=0## which is okay.

Notice the similarity between the above equation and Eqn. (1)

But then when we try to define the angular diameter distance we are using

##D = r = a(t)S_k(\chi)\theta## (See the derivation in the Eqn (2))

So there's something wrong because clearly ##D \ne r##

I guess my derivation is wrong.

Last edited:
##r## is a distance on the surface, here an integral from ##t=0## to ##t=t_{s}## (i.e., the distance light could have traveled by ##t=t_s## since ##t=0##). ##D## is a distance to the surface, here measured as an integral from ##t=t_{s}## to ##t=t_{now}##. ##\theta## is the angular diameter of the fluctuation on the surface.

1601932644939.png

I think the problem is it about the notation. As you said the ##r_s^*## actually the distance on the surface, but its also used as the distance to an object like in the comoving coordinate system where we use ##r## ?

Otherwise ##D_A^* =\frac{r_s^*}{\theta_s^*}## does not make much sense.

1. What is Angular Diameter Distance?

Angular Diameter Distance is a measure of the physical size of an object in the sky, relative to its angular size. It is the distance between the observer and the object, taking into account the curvature of space.

2. Why is Angular Diameter Distance important in astronomy?

Angular Diameter Distance is important in astronomy because it allows us to determine the true size of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. It also helps us understand the expansion of the universe and the effects of gravitational lensing.

3. How is Angular Diameter Distance calculated?

Angular Diameter Distance is calculated using the formula DA = DL / θ, where DA is the angular diameter distance, DL is the luminosity distance, and θ is the angular size of the object in radians.

4. What causes confusion in Angular Diameter Distance?

Confusion in Angular Diameter Distance can occur when using different units of measurement, such as arcseconds or degrees, or when the distance to the object is not accurately known. It can also be affected by the curvature of space and the presence of dark matter.

5. How does Angular Diameter Distance differ from other distance measures in astronomy?

Angular Diameter Distance differs from other distance measures, such as redshift and parallax, because it takes into account the actual size of the object rather than just its apparent size or position. It is also influenced by the expansion of the universe and the curvature of space, making it a more complex measure to calculate.