Confused about the terminology for the domain pde

In summary, the given equation involves the partial derivative of u with respect to t and x, and the general solution for u is expressed as t+F(x-t²). The solution is defined for t>0 and x>0, with the additional conditions of u=0 when x=0 for t>0 and u=1 when t=0 for x≥0. By applying the second condition and inequality, the solution can be separated into two functions: u=t-√(t²+x) for t²>x and u=1+t for t²≤x. The first function accounts for t>0 and x>0, while the second function accounts for t>0 and x≥0. The
oddiseas

Homework Statement

δu/δt+2tδu/δx=1

for t>0,x>0 with u= 0 on x= 0 for t>0, u=1 at t=0 for x≥0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

((dx)/(dt))=2t
x=t²+c
x-t²=c
the general solution is:
u=t+F(x-t²)
Now i am confused about the terminology for the domain, ie it says it is defined for t>0, x>0
I am confused about u= 0 on x= 0 for t>0
0=t+F(-t²)
thus it follows that u(x,t)=t-√(t²+x)
"at" x=o
But what does it mean when is states this is only for t>0. For all t>0 when x is zero u will be zero anyway.
The answer shows that the funcrtion u is equal to what i have solved for t²>x,
and i can see that in this case the square root is defined(ie not √-)
Then from the second condition the solution shows that u=1+t for t²≤x
I would basically like to understand all this properly as i always get a bit confused with inequalities. How did they apply the second condition and inequality to get the second function and what was the reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also why did they state "for t>0" when it follows from the first condition that u=0 at x=0 for all t>0.

Related to Confused about the terminology for the domain pde

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a PDE different from an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A PDE involves partial derivatives, while an ODE only involves ordinary derivatives. This means that a PDE can have multiple independent variables, whereas an ODE only has one. Additionally, the solution to a PDE is a function of multiple variables, while the solution to an ODE is a function of a single variable.

3. What is the domain of a PDE?

The domain of a PDE refers to the set of values for the independent variables that the equation is defined over. This can be a specific region in space or time, or it can be the entire range of values for the variables.

4. What is the difference between a boundary condition and an initial condition in a PDE?

A boundary condition is a condition that is specified at the boundaries of the domain, while an initial condition is a condition that is specified at the beginning of the domain. Boundary conditions are used to restrict the possible solutions of a PDE, while initial conditions are used to determine the specific solution of the PDE.

5. Can you give an example of a physical phenomenon that can be modeled using a PDE?

Some examples of physical phenomena that can be described using PDEs include heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields. For instance, the diffusion of heat through a material can be modeled using the heat equation, which is a type of PDE.