Confusion about solution to contour integral w/ branch pt.

In summary: Then they are integrating from -r to r. So the limits should be from infinity to -r. However, they are from -r to r+i*pi.
outhsakotad

Homework Statement

I am reading the solution the integral of (log(z))^2/(1+z^2) from 0 to infinity in a textbook, and I'm not sure I quite understand it, and I think this misunderstanding stems from my difficulty w/ branch points/cuts for multivalued functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached the solution. They appear to have drawn a contour that is a large semicircle in the UHP, avoiding the branch point at z=0 and have chosen a branch cut along the negative real axis. I have a couple questions here:

(1) The choice of branch cut seems to be by convenience, but I don't understand the logic behind the choice of the negative real axis.

(2) Why in the integral from infinity to 0 (see line above line 13.1) do they add i*pi? This makes somewhat sense to me as at the beginning (integral from 0 to infinity), you have r*e^(i*0), whose ln is ln(r), and at the line (infinity to 0) you have r*e^(i*pi), whose ln is ln(r)+i*pi... But I thought that the value didn't change until you crossed the branch point? At least, that is the way it would be if you had drawn "keyhole" contour. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here it is. Sorry. Also, when they change back to x in line 13.1, why can they just change the limits of integration like that? I see that you cannot have the log of a negative number, but why shouldn't the limits on the second and third integrals in this line be from infinity to 0?

Attachments

• contourintegral_log.pdf
    71.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
I think there is a typo in the line above 13.1. It should be:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\ln^2 r}{1+r^2}+\int_0^{\infty} \frac{(\ln(r)+\pi i)^2}{1+r^2} dr[/tex]

but then the following line corrects it.

Also, the need for pi i is that along the negative real axis, we let [itex]z=re^{\pi i}[/itex] right? And along the positive axis, it's just [itex]z=re^{0\pi i}[/itex]

Last edited:
Okay, but their limits sort of make sense: Along the negative axis, you are integrating from r=infinity to 0. So what they have makes sense to me until they change to x.

Related to Confusion about solution to contour integral w/ branch pt.

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral that is calculated along a path in a complex plane. It is used to evaluate the integral of a complex function, which cannot be solved using traditional methods.

2. What is a branch point?

A branch point is a point in the complex plane where a multi-valued function becomes singular. This means that the function can have different values depending on the path taken to approach the point.

3. Why is there confusion about finding solutions to contour integrals with branch points?

There is confusion because the choice of contour or path taken to evaluate the integral can affect the result. This is because the function is multi-valued at the branch point and different paths may give different values.

4. How do I determine the correct solution to a contour integral with a branch point?

To determine the correct solution, it is important to carefully choose the contour or path taken to evaluate the integral. This may involve breaking the contour into smaller segments or using techniques such as Cauchy's integral theorem.

5. Are there any general strategies for solving contour integrals with branch points?

Yes, there are some general strategies that can be used to solve contour integrals with branch points. These include choosing a contour that avoids the branch point, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and using Cauchy's integral theorem or Cauchy's residue theorem.