Contour Integration: Branch cuts

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the contour integral of the positive branch of ##z^{-1/2}## over a given contour, with the belief that the answer should be 0 by Cauchy's theorem, but previous methods of parameterization have led to non-zero answers. The conversation then delves into various parameterizations that have been tried, with the suggestion to work away from the cut and finding a new angle ##\psi## as a function of the parameters ##R_A## and ##R_C##. The conversation also suggests simplifying the process by getting rid of the parameter ##R_C## and having the loop C go around the origin at radius ##y_B##, joining to the lines B and D tangentially.
WWCY

Homework Statement

I am supposed to evaluate the contour integral of the positive branch of ##z^{-1/2}## over the following contour:
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 2.08.33 AM.png

I believe the answer should be 0, by Cauchy's theorem (loop encloses no poles), but my methods of parameterization have led to non-zero answers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the following parameterizations I have tried so far,

A) Loop parameterized by ##z = R_A e^{i\theta}## from ##\theta = -\pi## to ## \pi##
B) Line parameterized by ##z = Re^{i\pi}## from ##-R_A## to ##-R_C##
C) Loop parameterized by ##z = R_C e^{i\theta}## from ##\theta = \pi## to ## -\pi##
D) Line parameterized by ##z = Re^{-i\pi}## from ##-R_C## to ##-R_A##

I believe that I am actually doing integrals on the cut by using this method (hence an incorrect answer), but I can't seem to find a way to avoid the cut and am therefore stuck.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 2.08.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 2.08.33 AM.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,673
Physics news on Phys.org
To stay away from the cut, the first arc mustn't go from ##-\pi## to ##\pi## but from ##\epsilon-\pi## to ##\pi-\epsilon##, where ##\epsilon ## is a small angle.
Then you can parameterise B and D as horizontal lines at heights ##\pm y_B## that are trig functions of ##R_A## and ##\epsilon## and starting and ending at horizontal coordinates ##x_A,x_C## that are respectively functions of ##(R_A,\epsilon)## and ##(R_C,y_B)##. Finally, you need to work out a new angle ##\psi## that is a function of ##(R_C,y_B)## so that ##\pm \psi## are the integration limits for curve C.

Write a formula for the total integral, which will be a function of ##R_A,R_C## and ##\epsilon##. Then work out the limit of that formula as ##\epsilon\to 0##.

EDIT: We can simplify the process by getting rid of the parameter ##R_C## and instead having the loop C go around the origin at radius ##y_B##, joining to the lines B and D tangentially rather than with a kink. Then ##x_C=0## so that loop C and lines B, D all end neatly on the y axis.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
To stay away from the cut, the first arc mustn't go from ##-\pi## to ##\pi## but from ##\epsilon-\pi## to ##\pi-\epsilon##, where ##\epsilon ## is a small angle.
Then you can parameterise B and D as horizontal lines at heights ##\pm y_B## that are trig functions of ##R_A## and ##\epsilon## and starting and ending at horizontal coordinates ##x_A,x_C## that are respectively functions of ##(R_A,\epsilon)## and ##(R_C,y_B)##. Finally, you need to work out a new angle ##\psi## that is a function of ##(R_C,y_B)## so that ##\pm \psi## are the integration limits for curve C.

Write a formula for the total integral, which will be a function of ##R_A,R_C## and ##\epsilon##. Then work out the limit of that formula as ##\epsilon\to 0##.

EDIT: We can simplify the process by getting rid of the parameter ##R_C## and instead having the loop C go around the origin at radius ##y_B##, joining to the lines B and D tangentially rather than with a kink. Then ##x_C=0## so that loop C and lines B, D all end neatly on the y axis.
Thanks very much! I'll give it a shot. Appreciate the help.

Would I be right in saying that working in terms of ##\pi## instead of ##\pi + \epsilon## means working on the cut?

WWCY said:
Would I be right in saying that working in terms of ##\pi## instead of ##\pi + \epsilon## means working on the cut?
Yes.

1. What is a branch cut in contour integration?

A branch cut is a line or curve in the complex plane where a function is undefined or discontinuous. It is used to define a single-valued branch of a multivalued function, allowing for the integration of complex functions along a specific path.

2. How do branch cuts affect contour integration?

Branch cuts can create obstacles in contour integration as the path of integration must avoid crossing the cut. This can change the behavior of the integral and lead to different results compared to integrals without branch cuts.

3. What is the purpose of choosing a branch cut in contour integration?

The choice of a branch cut allows for the integration of multivalued functions along a specific path. This helps to define a single-valued function and avoid issues with discontinuities, leading to a more accurate calculation of the integral.

4. Can branch cuts be avoided in contour integration?

In some cases, it is possible to choose a different path of integration that avoids crossing the branch cut. However, in many cases, branch cuts are necessary for defining a single-valued function and cannot be avoided.

5. Are there any common techniques for dealing with branch cuts in contour integration?

One common technique is to deform the contour of integration to avoid crossing the branch cut. Another approach is to use Cauchy's integral formula to calculate the integral without explicitly integrating over the branch cut. Additionally, using the residue theorem can also help to avoid issues with branch cuts in contour integration.