Confusion about the notation of transpose

In summary, $Z$ is a matrix with four blocks: a top left $r\times r$ block of zeros, a top right $r\times m$ block $A$, a bottom left $m\times r$ block $B^{\textsf{T}}$, and a bottom right $m\times m$ block $T$ with nonzero distinct indeterminates at the diagonal. $A$ and $B$ are defined as $r\times m$ matrices, and $T$ is an $m\times m$ matrix. $B^{\textsf{T}}$ denotes the transpose of $B$. The notation used for $T$ may be confusing as it is used both as a matrix and
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Define the following

$$Z=
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & A \\
B^T & T
\end{pmatrix}$$

where we define $A$ and $B$ as $r \times m $ matrices and $T$ is an $m \times m$ matrix with nonzero distinct indeterminates at the diagonal, that is, $T_{i,i} = t_i$.

What is the meaning of $B^T$ ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
Define the following

$$Z=
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & A \\
B^T & T
\end{pmatrix}$$

where we define $A$ and $B$ as $m \times r $ matrices and $T$ is is an $m \times m$ matrix with nonzero distinct indeterminates at the diagonal, that is, $T_{i,i} = t_i$.

What is the meaning of $B^T$ ?
$B^{\textsf{T}}$ denotes the transpose of $B$. So if $B$ is an $r\times m$ matrix with entries $b_{ij}$ then $B^{\textsf{T}}$ is an $m\times r$ matrix whose $(i,j)$-entry is $b_{ji}.$

Notice that $A$ and $B$ should be $r\times m$ matrices, not $m\times r$. That way, $A$ has the same number of columns as $T$, and $B^{\textsf{T}}$ has the same number of rows as $T$. To complete the partitioned matrix, the $0$ in the top left corner of $Z$ represents an $r\times r$ matrix consisting of all zeros.

Notice that $A$ and $B$ should be $r\times m$ matrices, not $m\times r$. That way, $A$ has the same number of columns as $T$, and $B^{\textsf{T}}$ has the same number of rows as $T$

You are correct , that was a typo. But my confusion is for using $T$ as a matrix and as a transpose. I know that $B^T$ normally defines the transpose of a matrix but is $T$ in the first place a matrix ? or just a notation ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
But my confusion is for using $T$ as a matrix and as a transpose. I know that $B^T$ normally defines the transpose of a matrix but is $T$ in the first place a matrix ? or just a notation ?
I hadn't even noticed that! It's just a case of bad notation. The $\textsf{T}$ that denotes the transpose is nothing to do with the $T$ that denotes the matrix. I'm glad that in my previous comment I automatically used different typefaces for them.

I found that construction in a published paper about Linear matroid parity. I am surprised that the authors are using such a bad notation :/

1. What is the notation for transpose?

The notation for transpose is typically a superscript "T" after the matrix or vector, such as AT or xT.

2. How is transpose different from inverse?

Transpose involves flipping the rows and columns of a matrix, while inverse involves finding a matrix that when multiplied with the original matrix results in the identity matrix. They are two different operations with different properties.

3. Can you transpose a non-square matrix?

Yes, you can transpose a non-square matrix. The resulting transposed matrix will have the number of rows equal to the number of columns in the original matrix.

4. What is the purpose of using transpose?

Transpose is often used in linear algebra to simplify or solve equations, to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and to perform other operations such as matrix multiplication.

5. Is there a specific order to transpose multiple matrices?

Yes, when transposing multiple matrices, the order matters. Transposing a product of matrices is equivalent to reversing the order of the matrices and transposing each one individually, for example, (AB)T = BTAT.