Confusion With Derivation of Fresnel Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses working with diagrams in two HIL dielectrics and the four boundary conditions given by Maxwell's equations for the parallel and perpendicular components of the electric field. The equations are solved to find the reflection coefficient, but a mistake is found in equation 2 and is corrected in equations 4 and 5. The correct equation for the reflection coefficient is given as equation 6, which takes into account the different dielectric constants of the two media.
bananabandana
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.05.38.png

Okay, so I'm working with the diagrams above. ##i## denotes incident, ##r## reflected, and ##t## transmitted.

-We're working in two HIL dielectrics. Incoming and outgoing waves are of form ##Aexp[i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}- \omega t) ##. As I understand it, Maxwell's equations give four boundary conditions for this - Let:
  • ##\vec{\hat{n}}## be a unit normal vector to the interface,
  • ##\rho{SC}## is the surface free charge
  • Subscript 1,2 refers to medium 1,2
Let's just look at the p-case:
  • The parallel component of the ##\vec{E}## field must be continuous over the boundary.
  • But the perpendicular component is also continuous over the boundary, since we know:
(1) $$ \vec{\hat{n}} \cdot(\vec{D_{1}} -\vec{D_{2}}) = \rho_{SC} $$
and in a dielectric, ## \rho_{SC}=0##, and since the dielectric is HIL - ## |\vec{D}| = \epsilon|\vec{E}| ## , i.e:

(2) $$ \vec{\hat{n}} \cdot \epsilon ( \vec{E_{1}} -\vec{E_{2}} ) =0 $$

- For the wave to be continuous parallel to the boundary, we must have ##\theta_{incident} = \theta_{reflected} ##, as shown, and also that ## n_{1}sin(\theta^{i}) = n_{2} sin(\theta^{r}) ##. [Since the exponential terms must be equal]. So we can just work in terms of the amplitudes:

Then, for parallel continuity:

(3) $$ (E_{0}^{i}+E_{0}^{r})cos \theta^{i} = E_{0}^{t}cos \theta^{t} $$

And for perpendicular continuity:

(4) $$ (E_{0}^{r}-E_{0}^{i}) sin \theta^{i} = -E_{0}^{t} sin \theta^{t} \implies E_{0}^{t} sin \theta^{t} = (E_{0}^{i} -E_{0}^{r}) sin \theta^{i} $$

Solving these simultaneously, we arrive at the result:

(5) $$ r = \frac{E_{0}^{r}}{E_{0}^{i}} = \frac{ cotan \theta^{t} - cotan \theta^{i} }{ cotan \theta^{i} + cotan \theta^{2} } = \frac{ cos\theta^{t} sin \theta^{i} -sin \theta^{t} cos \theta^{i} }{ cos \theta^{t} sin \theta^{i} + sin \theta^{i} cos \theta^{t}} $$

Except this is wrong, since if ## n_{1} sin \theta^{i} = n_{2} sin \theta^{t} ##, then we can rewrite (5) as:

(6) $$ r= \frac{n_{2}cos \theta^{t} - n_{1} cos \theta^{i} }{ n^{2}cos\theta^{t}+n_{1}cos \theta^{i}} $$

Which is not the result my lecturer gets! Can someone explain where I made my mistake? Would be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
The mistake is in equation 2. Different media have different dielectric constants,
Rewrite the equation 2 as ##\vec n⋅ (\epsilon_1 \vec E_1 −\epsilon_2 \vec E_2)=0##
Refractive index is related to dielectric constant by ## n_1 = \sqrt{\epsilon_1 \mu_1}## and ## n_2 = \sqrt{\epsilon_2 \mu_2}##
Assuming non-magnetic materials, ## \mu_1 = \mu_2 = 1##.
Then correct equations 4 and 5.

1. What are the Fresnel equations used for?

The Fresnel equations are used to calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients of electromagnetic waves at an interface between two media with different refractive indices. They are commonly used in optics and electromagnetics to understand the behavior of light at boundaries.

2. How are the Fresnel equations derived?

The Fresnel equations are derived from Maxwell's equations, specifically the boundary conditions for electric and magnetic fields at an interface between two media. The equations take into account the properties of the two media, such as their refractive indices and the angle of incidence of the incident wave.

3. What is the difference between the Fresnel equations for reflection and transmission?

The Fresnel equations for reflection and transmission are different because they take into account the different properties of the incident and transmitted waves. The reflection coefficient is based on the ratio of the reflected electric field to the incident electric field, while the transmission coefficient is based on the ratio of the transmitted electric field to the incident electric field.

4. Can the Fresnel equations be used for all types of electromagnetic waves?

Yes, the Fresnel equations can be used for all types of electromagnetic waves, including visible light, radio waves, and microwaves. They are based on fundamental principles of electromagnetism and are applicable to all types of waves that interact at an interface between two media.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fresnel equations?

While the Fresnel equations are a useful tool for understanding the behavior of light at boundaries, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they assume the media are linear and isotropic, so they may not accurately predict the behavior of light at interfaces with nonlinear or anisotropic materials. Additionally, the equations do not take into account the effects of surface roughness or other imperfections at the interface.