Congruence implying existence of a group of some order

In summary, the group presentation G = (a,b : a^m = b^n = 1, ba = a^db) defines a group of order mn if and only if d^n \equiv 1 (mod m). One approach to proving this is by constructing a group of said order using associative binary operations on formal products a^ib^j, i = 0, \ldots, m-1, j = 0, \ldots, n-1. However, there is also a more direct proof that involves showing that for elements in G, a^ib^j, i = 0, \ldots, m-1, j = 0, \ldots,
Barre

Homework Statement

A group presentation [itex]G = (a,b : a^m = b^n = 1, ba = a^db)[/itex] defines a group of order [itex]mn[/itex] if and only if [itex]d^n \equiv 1[/itex] (mod [itex]m[/itex]).

Homework Equations

One book that I read presents a solution in a way of constructing a group of said order by defining associative binary operation on set of formal products [itex]a^ib^j, i = 0, \ldots, m-1, j = 0, \ldots, n-1[/itex] in a complicated way, and I am sort of unsatisfied with that proof. I would much rather work with the presentation itself and for example show that given the valid congruence, the elements of set [itex]a^ib^j, i = 0, \ldots, m-1, j = 0, \ldots, n-1[/itex] are all distinct. Could this be possible?

For example, it is clear that the condition is necessary. In [itex]G[/itex] we have [itex]a = 1\cdot a= b^na[/itex] and by repeated application of the relation [itex]ba = a^db[/itex] we obtain [itex]a = b^na = a^{d^n}b^n = a^{d^n}[/itex], hence if [itex]d^n \not\equiv 1[/itex] (mod [itex]m[/itex]) then clearly [itex]a[/itex] has order less than [itex]m[/itex], and the number of distinct elements in [itex]G[/itex] is bounded from above by [itex]ord(a)\cdot ord(b) \leq mn[/itex]. It is not as clear to me if one can go the other way around as easily.

Perhaps anyone know of anywhere on the internet where I can read more about this result? It is apparently quite famous and due to Cayley, but afaik neither Hungerford or Dummit and Foote mention it in their books.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionSuppose d^n \equiv 1 (mod m). Let a^ib^j, i = 0, \ldots, m-1, j = 0, \ldots, n-1 be arbitrary elements of G. If i_1 < i_2 then a^{i_1}b^j a^{i_2 - i_1}b^j = a^{i_2}b^j and so distinct elements of the form a^ib^j are not affected by addition of k \in \mathbb{Z} to i. Similarly, if j_1 < j_2 then b^{j_1}a^i b^{j_2 - j_1}a^i = b^{j_2}a^i and so distinct elements of the form a^ib^j are not affected by addition of k \in \mathbb{Z} to j. So in order to prove that elements a^ib^j, i = 0, \ldots, m-1, j = 0, \ldots, n-1 are distinct it is sufficient to show that for all i and j, a^ib^j \neq a^kb^l for any k \neq i and any l \neq j. Let us assume that a^ib^j = a^kb^l for some i,j,k,l with k \neq i and l \neq j. Then we can apply the relation ba = a^db over and over again, starting from the left to obtain b^la^i = a^kb^l = a^db^la^i = a^{d^2}b^{2l}a^i = \ldots = a^{d^j}b^{jl}a^i. But since d^n \equiv 1 (mod m) and j \leq n-1, d^j \equiv 1 (mod m) and so a^{d^j} \equiv 1 (mod m). Therefore b^{jl}a^i = a^i, hence b^l = a^{-i}. However, since a^m = 1 and i \leq m-1, a^i \neq b^l, which is

1. What is the definition of congruence in mathematics?

Congruence is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two objects that have the same size and shape. In other words, two objects are congruent if they are identical in every way, including their dimensions and angles.

2. How does congruence relate to the existence of a group of a certain order?

Congruence can imply the existence of a group of a certain order because if two objects are congruent, they can be transformed into each other through a series of translations, rotations, and reflections. These transformations form a group, and the order of this group is determined by the number of transformations that can be performed.

3. Can congruence be used to prove the existence of a group of a certain order?

Yes, congruence can be used as a tool in mathematical proofs to show the existence of a group of a certain order. By demonstrating that two objects are congruent, it can be inferred that they can be transformed into each other through a group of a specific order.

4. Is the group determined by congruence unique?

No, the group determined by congruence is not necessarily unique. There can be multiple groups of different orders that can be formed by the same set of congruent objects. However, the order of the group will always be a factor of the number of congruent objects.

5. Are there any real-world applications of congruence and group theory?

Yes, congruence and group theory have many real-world applications in various fields such as geometry, physics, and computer science. For example, in computer graphics, congruence is used to create 3D models by transforming 2D shapes through groups of transformations. In physics, group theory is used to describe the symmetries and conservation laws of physical systems.