Find the order of a presentation

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Presentation
As ##\operatorname{gcd}(j,m)=1## there exist ##p,q## such that ##r^j=r^ps^q##, which is a different word than ##r^ps^q## if ##p>1##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that ##M = \langle r,s \mid r^m = e, s^n = e, srs^{-1} = r^j \rangle##, where ##j## is a natural number satisfying ##\operatorname{gcd}(j,m) = 1## and ##j^n \equiv 1 \pmod{m}##, has ##mn## elements,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start to show this rigorously, but I do have some ideas. If we can show that every element can be written in the form ##r^as^b## then clearly we would have ##m## choices for ##a## and ##n## choices for ##b##, and hence by multiplying there would be ##mn## elements. But I'm not sure how to show that every product can be written in this form. I thought that maybe looking at the dihedral group and doing something analogous would help me, but all of the proofs that the dihedral group has ##2n## elements that I've seen use geomretical reasoning, which I don't seem to be able to do here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##M = \langle r,s \mid r^m = e, s^n = e, srs^{-1} = r^j \rangle##, where ##j## is a natural number satisfying ##\operatorname{gcd}(j,m) = 1## and ##j^n \equiv 1 \pmod{m}##, has ##mn## elements,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start to show this rigorously, but I do have some ideas. If we can show that every element can be written in the form ##r^as^b## then clearly we would have ##m## choices for ##a## and ##n## choices for ##b##, and hence by multiplying there would be ##mn## elements. But I'm not sure how to show that every product can be written in this form. I thought that maybe looking at the dihedral group and doing something analogous would help me, but all of the proofs that the dihedral group has ##2n## elements that I've seen use geomretical reasoning, which I don't seem to be able to do here.
That every product can be written in this form is trivial: With ##sr=r^js## we can change every word until all ##s## are on the right and all ##r## are on the left. You can do this by induction over the number of changes ##(s^qr^p)## in words. Therefore ##M=\{\,r^ps^q\,|\,1\leq p \leq m\, , \,1\leq q \leq n\,\}## What is left to show is, that we do not count the same element multiple times, i.e. that ##r^ps^q=r^{p'}s^{q'} \Longrightarrow p=p' \,\wedge \, q=q'##

1. What is the purpose of finding the order of a presentation?

The purpose of finding the order of a presentation is to create a logical and cohesive flow of information that effectively communicates the message to the audience. It helps to keep the audience engaged and focused, making the presentation more impactful.

2. How can I determine the best order for my presentation?

To determine the best order for your presentation, consider your main message and the key points you want to convey. Start with an attention-grabbing introduction, followed by the body of your presentation, and end with a memorable conclusion. You can also use visual aids and storytelling techniques to enhance the flow and make it more engaging.

3. What are some common techniques for organizing a presentation?

Some common techniques for organizing a presentation include chronological order, problem-solution order, spatial order, and topical order. You can also use a combination of these techniques to create a more effective and interesting presentation.

4. How do I transition between different sections of my presentation?

To transition between different sections of your presentation, you can use transition words and phrases, such as "next," "in conclusion," and "now let's move on to." You can also use visual aids, like slides or videos, to help with the transition and keep the audience engaged.

5. Is it important to practice the order of my presentation beforehand?

Yes, it is crucial to practice the order of your presentation beforehand. This will help you become more familiar with the content and the flow of information, allowing you to make any necessary adjustments to improve the overall delivery. It will also help you become more confident and deliver a more polished presentation.