Conjugate Elements of a Symmetric Group

In summary, two elements a and b of a group G are said to be CONJUGATE if there exists g in G such that a=gbg^{-1}. In the symmetric group S5, all elements of order 6 are conjugate. This can be seen by computing the conjugates of an element of order 6 with a few elements and realizing that there is only one cycle shape that corresponds to elements of order 6. This supports the theorem that states two elements in a symmetric group are conjugate if and only if they have the same cycle shape.
Treadstone 71
Is the the following definition correct?

Two elements a and b of a group G are said to be CONJUGATE if there exists g in G such that [tex]a=gbg^{-1}[/tex].

For instance, show that all elements in the symmetric group S5 of order 6 conjugate.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: Yes, that's the correct definition, as well. Again, do it: take an element of order 6, compute its conjugates with a couple of elements and see who to generate all elements of order 6.

Eg, in S_n n>2, consider (12)(23)(12)=(13), thus it's clear that all elements of order 2 are conjugate

Last edited:
Incidentally, when i say "just do it" I'm not being impatient, it's just that sometimes in maths you sadly just have to get your hands dirty with some calculations.

I know, I just think I remember a theorem that says two elements in a symmetric group are conjugate if and only if they have the same cycle shape. There are 7 different cycle shapes in S5, I think.

Not sure what you're getting at. Perhaps if you realized there was only one cycle shape which corresponded to elements of order 6 that would help.

Related to Conjugate Elements of a Symmetric Group

What are conjugate elements of a symmetric group?

Conjugate elements of a symmetric group are elements that share the same cycle structure, but may differ in the order of their cycles. They are essentially rearrangements of the same set of elements.

How do you determine if two elements are conjugate in a symmetric group?

To determine if two elements are conjugate in a symmetric group, you can use the concept of cycle notation. If the two elements have the same cycle structure, they are conjugate.

What is the significance of conjugate elements in a symmetric group?

Conjugate elements play an important role in the study of group theory, as they help to identify patterns and relationships within a symmetric group. They also allow for easier computations and simplification of certain group operations.

Can an element be conjugate to itself in a symmetric group?

Yes, an element can be conjugate to itself in a symmetric group, as long as it has the same cycle structure as its conjugate. This is known as the trivial conjugacy class.

How are conjugate elements related to group automorphisms?

Conjugate elements are closely related to group automorphisms, as they are essentially different ways of representing the same group element. Group automorphisms can be thought of as "outer" conjugations, while conjugate elements are "inner" conjugations.