Conservation of charge with Dirac delta

In summary: Your mistake was in thinking that it was 3 copies of the same thing. So the factor of 3 that you thought you saw was really just an artifact of the one-dimensional case.In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of charge and current densities using the Dirac delta, and the application of the property for evaluating the current density divergence. The conversation also addresses a mistake in generalizing from the one-dimensional case to the three-dimensional case.
Frostman
Homework Statement
Demonstrate conservation of charge
Relevant Equations
Dirac's property
Hello, I was reviewing a part related to electromagnetism in which the charge and current densities are defined by the Dirac delta:

##\rho(\underline{x}, t)=\sum_n e_n \delta^3(\underline{x} - \underline{x}_n(t))##
##\underline{J}(\underline{x}, t)=\sum_n e_n \delta^3(\underline{x} - \underline{x}_n(t))\frac{d\underline{x}_n}{dt}##

At this point, when I want to evaluate the current density divergence, I find a ##3## coefficient that shouldn't appear when I apply a Dirac delta property. I show you here:

##\nabla \cdot \underline{J}(\underline{x}, t)=\sum_n e_n \frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\delta^3(\underline{x} - \underline{x}_n(t))\frac{dx_n^i}{dt}##

I apply the property for which

##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\delta(x-y(t))\frac{dy}{dt}=-\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\delta(x-y(t))##

In the three-dimensional case, shouldn't I work like that?

##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\delta^3(\underline{x} - \underline{x}_n(t))\frac{dx_n^i}{dt}=##
##\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\delta(x-x_n(t))\delta(y-y_n(t))\delta(z-z_n(t))\frac{dx_n}{dt}+
\delta(x-x_n(t))\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\delta(y-y_n(t))\delta(z-z_n(t))\frac{dy_n}{dt}+
\delta(x-x_n(t))\delta(y-y_n(t))\frac{\partial }{\partial z}\delta(z-z_n(t))\frac{dz_n}{dt}##

Applying the above property on each of the three addends should produce the same result three times, so:

##
-\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\delta(x-x_n(t))\delta(y-y_n(t))\delta(z-z_n(t))-
\delta(x-x_n(t))\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\delta(y-y_n(t))\delta(z-z_n(t))-
\delta(x-x_n(t))\delta(y-y_n(t))\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\delta(z-z_n(t))
##

Which is therefore equal to:

##-3\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\delta(x-x_n(t))\delta(y-y_n(t))\delta(z-z_n(t))=-3\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\delta^3(\underline{x} - \underline{x}_n(t))##

So when putting it into the current density divergence, I would have a ##3## factor:

##\nabla \cdot \underline{J}(\underline{x}, t)=-3\sum_n e_n \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\delta^3(\underline{x} - \underline{x}_n(t))=-3\frac{\partial \rho(\underline{x}, t)}{\partial t}##

Wrong, I would have:

##\nabla \cdot \underline{J}(\underline{x}, t) + 3\frac{\partial \rho(\underline{x}, t)}{\partial t}=0##

I can't find the point where I'm wrong, can you tell me? o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
Frostman said:
Homework Statement:: Demonstrate conservation of charge
Relevant Equations:: Dirac's property

Which is therefore equal to:

−3∂∂tδ(x−xn(t))δ(y−yn(t))δ(z−zn(t))=−3∂∂tδ3(x―−x―n(t))

So when putting it into the current density divergence, I would have a 3 factor:
[tex]-[\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\delta(x-x_n(t))]\delta(y-y_n(t))\delta(z-z_n(t))+similar\ for \ y\ and \ z [/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[\delta(x-x_n(t))\delta(y-y_n(t))\delta(z-z_n(t))][/tex]

Last edited:
You don't get a factor of 3. Since ##J = \sum_n \text{ something} \dfrac{d \vec{x}_n}{dt}##, then

##\nabla \cdot J = \sum_n \dfrac{\partial \text{ something}}{\partial x} \dfrac{d x_n}{dt}##
## + \sum_n \dfrac{\partial \text{ something}}{\partial y} \dfrac{d y_n}{dt}##
## + \sum_n \dfrac{\partial \text{ something}}{\partial z} \dfrac{d z_n}{dt}##

Those are three different terms, not 3 copies of the same term. There is no factor of 3.

So that factor ##3## really isn't there, because there's ##\sum_n## in front of everything, right?

Well, yes, there's a sum over ##n##, but that's not really the point.

You're computing ##\nabla \cdot J ## which involves derivatives of ##J## with respect to ##x_n^i##. There is no derivative with respect to ##t##.

I think your mistake was in generalizing from the one-dimensional case.

It is true that
##\frac{d}{dt} f(x-y(t)) = - \frac{d}{dx} f(x-y(t)) \frac{dy}{dt}##

But in 3 dimensions, you have:

##\frac{d}{dt} f(\vec{x}-\vec{y}(t)) ##
##\ \ \ = - \frac{d}{dx^1} f(\vec{x}-\vec{y}(t)) \frac{dy^1}{dt}##
##\ \ \ - \frac{d}{dx^2} f(\vec{x}-\vec{y}(t)) \frac{dy^2}{dt}##
## \ \ \ - \frac{d}{dx^3} f(\vec{x}-\vec{y}(t)) \frac{dy^3}{dt}##

That is not three copies of the same thing.

Likes Frostman and jim mcnamara

1. What is the principle of conservation of charge?

The principle of conservation of charge states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the amount of positive charge must equal the amount of negative charge in a system, and the total charge cannot be created or destroyed.

2. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical tool used to represent a point charge or impulse in a system. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, and has an integral of one. It is often used in physics to model point charges or to simplify calculations involving point charges.

3. How does the Dirac delta function relate to the conservation of charge?

The Dirac delta function is used to represent point charges, which are a fundamental aspect of the principle of conservation of charge. By using the Dirac delta function, we can accurately model point charges and ensure that the total charge in a system remains constant.

4. Can the Dirac delta function be used in three-dimensional systems?

Yes, the Dirac delta function can be extended to three-dimensional systems, where it is known as the three-dimensional delta function. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, and has a volume integral of one. It is often used in physics to model point charges or to simplify calculations involving point charges in three-dimensional space.

5. How is the conservation of charge with Dirac delta applied in practical situations?

The conservation of charge with Dirac delta is applied in many practical situations, such as in the study of electric fields, electric potential, and electric circuits. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic devices, such as capacitors, resistors, and transistors. Additionally, it is used in the study of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter.