Conservation of energy and GPE problem

In summary: I got itIn summary, a 2.7 kg bundle with 106 J of kinetic energy starts up a 27° incline. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the bundle and incline is 0.42. The final equation to calculate the distance the bundle will slide up is d= 106J/(mgsin27-0.42), where d represents the distance, m represents the mass, and g represents the gravitational acceleration. The final answer is 4.837m. The energy equation used is initial mechanical energy - energy transferred to thermal energy = final mechanical energy.
mmattson07

Homework Statement

A 2.7 kg bundle starts up a 27° incline with 106 J of kinetic energy. How far will it slide up the incline if the coefficient of kinetic friction between bundle and incline is 0.42?

Homework Equations

K= 1/2mv^2
conservation of energy => Ki + Ui = Kf+Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially the gravitational potential energy is 0 (y=0) => initial Emec=106J
but how does the friction come into play in this problem? Does the coeff of kinetic friction times the distance give you the energy transferred to thermal heat? If some one could walk me through this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Correction the energy is NOT conserved due to the friction force between the bundle and incline so I'm guessing the final equation will have some -thermal energy?

You start off with kinetic energy.

You end off with gravitational potential energy and energy lost due to friction.

delzac

Don't you have to know how far it will slide up before you can calculate the final gravitational potential energy? Same with the energy lost?

You will have to.

But it is basically one equation one unknown.

Ok, so we have

106J+0J=mgdsin27-(0.42)d
=>106J= d(mgsin27-0.42)
=>d=106J/(mgsin27-0.42)

Just realized: we can assume Kf=0 because the bundle will be stopped?

Yup, that's correct.

Not getting the correct answer.

d= 106J/((2.7kg)(9.8m/s^2)sin27-0.42)
`=9.144 m

The correct answer is 4.837m

I'm stumped. Here is what the hint reads: "You then need to set up an energy equation: initial mechanical energy - energy transferred to thermal energy = final mechanical energy."

So I have been trying:

106J-(mg/cos27)(0.42)d=mgdsin27
=>d=106J/(mgsin27+(mg/cos27)(0.42))

with mg/cos27 being the normal force...but I'm still missing something.

oh NVM

Related to Conservation of energy and GPE problem

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy relate to gravitational potential energy (GPE)?

GPE is a form of potential energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. According to the law of conservation of energy, the total energy of an object remains constant, so any change in GPE will result in a corresponding change in another form of energy.

3. How can you calculate gravitational potential energy?

The formula for calculating GPE is: GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the ground or reference point.

4. What factors affect gravitational potential energy?

The two main factors that affect GPE are the mass of the object and its height or distance from the ground or reference point. The greater the mass and/or height, the greater the GPE.

5. How is conservation of energy and GPE problem applied in real-world situations?

Conservation of energy and GPE problem are applied in various real-world situations, such as designing roller coasters, calculating the energy output of hydropower plants, and understanding the movement of objects in space. It is also important to consider GPE when designing structures or performing tasks that involve lifting objects to higher heights.