Constant, Horizontal Force on Swing

In summary: The average force of the "wtanθ" force is w/2. This is the force you use in the equation W = F*d.The average force of the "2w" force is 2w. This is the force you use in the equation W = F*d.Since the average force (F) is greater in the second case, the work done by that force would be greater as well.In summary, the work done by the constant force in the exercise is greater than the work done by the varying force in the example, due to the average force being greater in the second case.
Frozen Stair
1. Homework Statement
This problem is connected to an example in the textbook.

Here's some of the key info from the example, first of all:
You are appointed to push your cousin Throckymorton in a swing. His weight is w, the length of the chains is R, and you push Throcky until the chains make an angle θ(0) with the verticle. To do this, you exert a varying horizontal force F that starts at zero and gradually increases just enough so that Throcky and the swing move very slowly and remain very nearly in equilibrium.
In this example, the textbook found that the work "I" do by exerting the force F is equal to wR(1-cosθ(0)).

Here is the problem:

In the example, instead of applying a varying horizontal force F that maintains Throcky very nearly in equilibrium, you apply a constant a constant, horizontal force on Throcky with magnitude F=2w, where w is Throcky's weight. Consider Throcky to be a particle and neglect the small weight of the chains and seat. You push Throcky until the chains make an angle θ(0) with the verticle.
(a) Calculate the work done on Throcky by the force F that you apply.
(b) How does the work done by F in this exercises compare to that in the example?

Homework Equations

Work = F*d

P1
Work = ∫F * dl.
P2

dl = Rdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)
θ(0) θ(0) θ(0)
W = ∫F(tan)dl = ∫(Fcosθ)(Rdθ) = 2wR∫cosθdθ = 2wRsinθ(0)
0 0 0

Part (b)
This is the part I have the most trouble with. When I graph y = 2sinθ(0) and y = 1-cosθ(0) because these graphs resemble, by a constant factor, the work equations for the two different situations, it's clear that the work done for the situation in the exercise is greater than the work done for the situation in the example. I've tried to find an explanation for this, but I can't think of one.Edit: Sorry, I don't know how to type in the limits of integration! But the lower limit is always 0 and the upper is theta(0).

Physics news on Phys.org
Frozen Stair said:
1. Homework Statement
This problem is connected to an example in the textbook.

Here's some of the key info from the example, first of all:
You are appointed to push your cousin Throckymorton in a swing. His weight is w, the length of the chains is R, and you push Throcky until the chains make an angle θ(0) with the verticle. To do this, you exert a varying horizontal force F that starts at zero and gradually increases just enough so that Throcky and the swing move very slowly and remain very nearly in equilibrium.
In this example, the textbook found that the work "I" do by exerting the force F is equal to wR(1-cosθ(0)).

Here is the problem:

In the example, instead of applying a varying horizontal force F that maintains Throcky very nearly in equilibrium, you apply a constant a constant, horizontal force on Throcky with magnitude F=2w, where w is Throcky's weight. Consider Throcky to be a particle and neglect the small weight of the chains and seat. You push Throcky until the chains make an angle θ(0) with the verticle.
(a) Calculate the work done on Throcky by the force F that you apply.
(b) How does the work done by F in this exercises compare to that in the example?

Homework Equations

Work = F*d

P1
Work = ∫F * dl.
P2

dl = Rdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)
Code:
     θ(0)        θ(0)              θ(0)
W = ∫F(tan)dl = ∫(Fcosθ)(Rdθ) = 2wR∫cosθdθ = 2wRsinθ(0)
      0          0                0
Part (b)
This is the part I have the most trouble with. When I graph y = 2sinθ(0) and y = 1-cosθ(0) because these graphs resemble, by a constant factor, the work equations for the two different situations, it's clear that the work done for the situation in the exercise is greater than the work done for the situation in the example. I've tried to find an explanation for this, but I can't think of one.

Edit: Sorry, I don't know how to type in the limits of integration! But the lower limit is always 0 and the upper is θ(0).
Hello Frozen Stair. Welcome to PF !

When θ is small, how does the force in the example compare with that in the exercise ?

Hi. :)

When θ is small...in the example, the force would be very small (F=wtanθ). In the exercise, it would be 2w. I was thinking about this, but I can't figure out how exactly this connects to the work that is done.

Frozen Stair said:
Hi. :)

When θ is small...in the example, the force would be very small (F=wtanθ). In the exercise, it would be 2w. I was thinking about this, but I can't figure out how exactly this connects to the work that is done.
Both forces are in the horizontal direction.

Both move along the same path.

One force is constant and relatively large.

The other starts small. It's w/2 @ ≈ 26.6°. It's w at 45°. It's equal to 2w at what angle? At that point there is not much displacement remaining in the horizontal direction.

Also, what happens to all of that extra work that's done?

I see what you mean. F=2w at θ=1.11, which is already quite far.

But what do you mean by the "extra work"?

Frozen Stair said:
I see what you mean. F=2w at θ=1.11, which is already quite far.

But what do you mean by the "extra work"?

In the exercise, the amount of work to reach any particular θ0 is quite a bit larger than the amount of work done in the example, to reach the same θ0. What is the result of expending that extra amount of work in the exercise as compared to in the example?

Oh, I think I see now.

Instead of Throcky being pushed so that he is at a constant speed, he has an acceleration. And, by the work-energy theorem, W = ΔK, so this would suggest that the exercise has such a greater value for work than the example because the speed is increasing.

Frozen Stair said:
Oh, I think I see now.

Instead of Throcky being pushed so that he is at a constant speed, he has an acceleration. And, by the work-energy theorem, W = ΔK, so this would suggest that the exercise has such a greater value for work than the example because the speed is increasing.
Yes. That's what I was getting at.

Should I ask any more questions? :smile:

No, thank you so much! :)

1. What is a constant, horizontal force on a swing?

A constant, horizontal force on a swing is a force that is applied to the swing in a consistent direction and magnitude. This means that the force will remain the same throughout the swing's motion.

2. How does a constant, horizontal force affect a swing?

A constant, horizontal force will cause the swing to accelerate in the direction of the force. This means that the swing will move faster and further than it would without the force.

3. How is a constant, horizontal force different from a vertical force on a swing?

A vertical force on a swing will cause it to move up and down, while a horizontal force will cause it to move back and forth. Additionally, a constant horizontal force will cause the swing to accelerate, while a vertical force may cause the swing to reach a maximum height before falling back down.

4. Can a constant, horizontal force be applied to a swing in real life?

Yes, a constant, horizontal force can be applied to a swing in real life. This can be achieved by pushing or pulling the swing in a horizontal direction, or by attaching a motor or pulley system to the swing.

5. What are some real-world applications of a constant, horizontal force on a swing?

A constant, horizontal force on a swing can be used in amusement park rides, such as a swinging pirate ship or a swinging roller coaster. It can also be used in sports, such as a batter hitting a baseball with a bat, or in physics experiments to study the effects of forces on objects in motion.