Contacting professors for research opportunities/volunteer work.

In summary, the speaker is a senior who is not attending graduate school and is looking for research experience in a local physics/astrophysics department. They are unsure if professors would consider them qualified and are wondering if they should email a CV along with a question or wait until the summer when they will be available. Another person suggests offering themselves for free and waiting for someone to accept.
Lavabug
I would like some advice on how to go about offering myself for any kind of research experience at a local physics/astroph. department(in the US). I am a graduating senior who isn't going to grad school this year, so formal REU's aren't an option (not to mention they always conflicted with my exams as I attend university abroad).

Would profs entertain such an idea if they thought I was qualified? (note: I am a US resident and will probably be working anywhere else just to cover expenses for a while, so this may be a part time thing unless I could get on some kind of funding).

I have little prior experience (currently doing a project in a related field) but a hell of a lot of drive and work ethic. Would emailing a short question to a prof along with a CV be a good idea or should I hold off on the CV until they express an interest? Should I wait contacting them until the summer when I'll actually be available?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Lavabug said:
Anyone?

just offer yourself whatever the price,somebody might be willing to accept a free hand.Maybe my answer is not the best one...

What should I include in my email when contacting a professor for research opportunities/volunteer work?

When contacting a professor for research opportunities/volunteer work, it is important to include a brief introduction of yourself and your academic/professional background, your interest in their research, and why you are interested in working with them specifically. You should also include any relevant skills or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the position.

How should I address the professor in my email?

It is best to address the professor with their appropriate title and last name (e.g. Dr. Smith, Professor Johnson). Avoid using their first name unless they have specifically requested it. If you are unsure of their preferred title, it is best to err on the side of formality.

How far in advance should I contact a professor for research opportunities/volunteer work?

It is recommended to contact a professor at least 2-3 months in advance, especially if you are seeking a full-time research position. This will give the professor enough time to review your email and potentially make arrangements for you to join their team.

Should I follow up if I don't receive a response from the professor?

It is acceptable to send a follow-up email if you have not received a response within 2-3 weeks. However, make sure to keep the email brief and polite. If you still do not receive a response, it may be best to move on and reach out to other professors.

What should I do if the professor is not currently accepting volunteers or researchers?

If the professor is not currently accepting volunteers or researchers, it is important to respect their decision. You can ask if they know of any other professors who may be in need of assistance or if they have any advice on how to improve your chances of finding a research position in the future. It is also a good idea to thank them for their time and consideration.