Contour integration problem-(sinx/x)^2

• Thread starter outhsakotad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the contour integration problem for (sinx/x)^2 from -infinity to +infinity. The problem involves using a trig identity to rewrite the integral and then finding the residue at the origin. Despite some discrepancies in the given solution, it is determined that the correct answer is pi/2, as stated in the textbook.
outhsakotad
contour integration problem--(sinx/x)^2

Homework Statement

I am to evaluate the integral of (sinx/x)^2 from -infinity to +infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew my contour as a large half circle in UHP, and this contour then includes the singularity at the origin.

Using a trig identity, I can rewrite sin^x : 0.5(1-cos(2x))

Since we're working in the UHP, I then rewrite the integral: Real part of 0.5*int((1-e^(2iz))/z^2)dz from -inf to +inf

There is a second order pole at the origin. The residue here is a-= 0.5*(d/dz){(z^2*(1-e^(2iz)))/z^2)} evaluated as z-->0, = 0.5*-2i*e^(2i*0)=-i.

Since the part enclosing the singularity is a half circle, the integral should be pi*i*a-=pi. But the answer is supposed to be pi/2.

I apologize for the lack of LaTeX. Could somebody please give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I now see that the error could possibly be that in converting the cosine to exponential form, I missed a factor of 1/2. But how come I have solved other problems correctly without that factor? See for example, the problem right before "Solution 13.18" on this document: http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~sean/applied_math.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

That's just a simple pole. Expand it as a power series to see that.

Ah, okay, indeed it is a simple pole. But when I do the problem again, I still get pi. See the attached pdf.

Here's the pdf:

Attachments

• contourintegration.pdf
    174.8 KB · Views: 1,154

I get pi too and that's what Mathematica gives also.

Hmmm. Arfken & Weber problem 7.1.12 asks me to prove that it's pi/2. Possible typo?

In my copy of Arfken (3rd edition), it's problem 7.2.12, and the limits on the integral are from 0 to infinity.

It must be a typo then. In the 6th edition, the limits are from -infinity to +infinity.

1. What is the "Contour Integration Problem"?

The Contour Integration Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of a function along a specific path or contour. It is a fundamental concept in complex analysis and is used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and physics.

2. What is the function involved in the Contour Integration Problem-(sinx/x)^2?

The function involved in this specific problem is (sinx/x)^2. It is a trigonometric function that becomes undefined at x=0, making it a challenging problem to solve using traditional integration methods.

3. Why is the Contour Integration Problem important?

The Contour Integration Problem is important because it allows us to solve integrals that are otherwise impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is the significance of the contour in the Contour Integration Problem?

The contour is the path along which the integral is evaluated. It can take various shapes and is chosen in a way that simplifies the integration problem. The choice of the contour is crucial in finding the correct solution to the problem.

5. What are some techniques used to solve the Contour Integration Problem?

There are several techniques used to solve the Contour Integration Problem, including the Cauchy's Integral Formula, the Residue Theorem, and the Method of Steepest Descent. These techniques involve using complex analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with complex numbers and functions.