Control systems block diagram reduction

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the student is struggling with simplifying a diagram involving a return summing block. They correctly simplified one part of the diagram, but are unsure about the placement of pick-off lines and the removal of a summing block. The expert explains the concepts of superposition and summing junction rule, and advises the student on how to proceed with the simplification.
RIshen

Homework Statement

Hi

I am having trouble simplifying the attached diagram with respect to the return summing block

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

there shouldn't be any superposition since there is only one input signal,
in the attached file I've simplified A to Be: G3/(G2-G2G3G4)
would it be correct to move the pick off lines as shown?
once the relevant block diagram rules are applied this is the point where i can't find a way to remove the summing block next to H1

Attachments

• Block Diagram2.jpg
    Block Diagram2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 640
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are having trouble simplifying the attached diagram with respect to the return summing block. I will try my best to guide you through the process.

Firstly, you are correct in saying that there should not be any superposition since there is only one input signal. However, I would like to clarify that the term superposition is used to describe the principle of adding individual solutions of a linear system to obtain the overall solution. In this case, we are trying to simplify the diagram by using block diagram rules, not superposition.

Next, you have correctly simplified A to Be: G3/(G2-G2G3G4). This is a good start. Now, let's look at the pick-off lines. The pick-off lines should not be moved as shown. They should remain connected to the input and output of the summing block. Moving them would change the signal flow and alter the overall system.

Finally, you are correct in saying that the summing block next to H1 cannot be removed. This is because it represents the summing of the output of H1 and the input from the pick-off line. In order to simplify this further, you can use the summing junction rule, which states that the output of a summing junction is equal to the algebraic sum of its inputs. This means that you can replace the summing block with a transfer function that represents the sum of the two signals.

I hope this helps you in simplifying the diagram. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a control system block diagram?

A control system block diagram is a visual representation of the components and connections of a control system. It is used to describe the behavior of a system and its response to various inputs.

2. What is the purpose of block diagram reduction in control systems?

The purpose of block diagram reduction is to simplify a complex control system block diagram by combining or eliminating blocks to create a more manageable and understandable representation. This can aid in analysis, design, and troubleshooting of control systems.

3. What are the basic elements of a control system block diagram?

The basic elements of a control system block diagram include blocks, summing points, input and output signals, and feedback loops. The blocks represent the various components of the system, while the summing points combine multiple signals. The input and output signals represent the input and output of the system, and the feedback loop represents the system's ability to adjust its behavior based on its output.

4. How do you reduce a control system block diagram?

There are several methods for reducing a control system block diagram, including the Mason's Gain Formula, the Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion, and the signal flow graph method. These methods involve combining or eliminating blocks, simplifying equations, and analyzing the system's stability and performance.

5. What are some benefits of using block diagram reduction in control systems?

Using block diagram reduction can provide several benefits, such as simplifying complex systems for analysis and design, identifying potential issues and improving system performance, and aiding in troubleshooting and understanding the behavior of a system. It can also save time and effort in the design and implementation of control systems.